Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.

Eco-extremists never stopped... news promotes their agenda.

It's again... extremes flipping the bird at each other. Both thinking they're fixing the f-ups of the other. Both sides are at fault.

Eco-extremists never stopped... news promotes their agenda.

It's again... extremes flipping the bird at each other. Both thinking they're fixing the f-ups of the other. Both sides are at fault.

Pretty much this. If they were serious about relisting, and not just stoking the fundraising fires, they'd wait until populations are crashing (if they do) and then sue to relist. This is just pandering for pennies.

Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller saw this coming.
GiGi, Hank and the majority of the Montana Legislature did not.

Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller saw this coming.
GiGi, Hank and the majority of the Montana Legislature did not.

Or they did, and this plays into conflict politics rather than forces them to account for their real agenda.

Politicians love a good misdirection almost as much as CBD loses to raise money off of woofs.

Or they did, and this plays into conflict politics rather than forces them to account for their real agenda.

Politicians love a good misdirection almost as much as CBD loses to raise money off of woofs.
Knowing the players this is giving them waaaaay to much credit. But maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pretty easily problem to deal with, kill the birds nesting next to his livestock problem solved.
Heh, case in point...

Heh, case in point...

they just need to bring back unlimited grizzly hunt like they had in the 80s when i lived northwest montana. they had a quota that included grizzly hit by trains etc. Took care of all the problem bears and raised money for the state. Same people freaking out over idahos new wolf season right now shut that unlimited grizzly hunt down too. But lets get pissed at the ranchers lol

they just need to bring back unlimited grizzly hunt like they had in the 80s when i lived northwest montana. they had a quota that included grizzly hit by trains etc. Took care of all the problem bears and raised money for the state. Same people freaking out over idahos new wolf season right now shut that unlimited grizzly hunt down too. But lets get pissed at the ranchers lol
Ranchers are vile. They take subsidies and lease to outfitters. So I've heard. mtmuley

Wrong, what got the grizzly season shut down in Montana was implementing the spring season that "just had to happen" to placate a couple landowners on the Front.

Wrong, what got the grizzly season shut down in Montana was implementing the spring season that "just had to happen" to placate a couple landowners on the Front.
ok thats not how I remember it at all. In fact I had planned to purchase the grizzly tag the exact fall it was cancelled right before season and they(same people whining about our new wolf seasons) sued in court and won based on the endangered species act for that specific unlimited tag and hunt area. I got to watch a nice grizzly in the hunt area that fall with no tag. The argument was even though they were above objective in that area they were endangered in their historic range and thus couldn't be hunted anywhere. It was right in the middle of the spotted owl fiasco and seemed liked the anti everything crowd had a lot better lawyers in those days ha ha. (Spotted owl population has since plummeted in spite of their great ideas to save it but at least the anti logging led to a lot more forest fires! ) Regardless of how it was cancelled it is beyond time to bring it back in my opinion. The quota was so limited and included other deaths so there was not much argument that it would deplete the population. It got rid of problem bears because the stupid ones getting to close to towns etc were taken first. It raised money for the state instead of spending it to kill the SAME bears. ANYONE that was a resident could kill or at least buy a grizzly tag for 50 bucks. I guess we can argue about why it was challenged and shut down but it was by the same group of people whining loudest about Idaho's new wolf season. Seems like everyone praises the unlimited sheep hunts why wouldn't everyone want the ability to at least buy a grizzly tag? There is history there to study and realize it was effective but not detrimental to the bear population. I guess its fine if you disagree with why or how it was cancelled but I think we should focus on WHO got it cancelled. The same groups never seem to be held accountable for their past actions. If we disagree on having a grizzly season we will just have to disagree. Or we can still be pissed at ranchers

Ranchers are vile. They take subsidies and lease to outfitters. So I've heard. mtmuley
Ranchers I know always told me the farmers took all the subsidies! In fact they informed me that’s why they all wear ball caps to block the sun so they can see in the mailbox better when collecting all those checks 😂😂😂

ok thats not how I remember it at all. In fact I had planned to purchase the grizzly tag the exact fall it was cancelled right before season and they(same people whining about our new wolf seasons) sued in court and won based on the endangered species act for that specific unlimited tag and hunt area. I got to watch a nice grizzly in the hunt area that fall with no tag. The argument was even though they were above objective in that area they were endangered in their historic range and thus couldn't be hunted anywhere. It was right in the middle of the spotted owl fiasco and seemed liked the anti everything crowd had a lot better lawyers in those days ha ha. (Spotted owl population has since plummeted in spite of their great ideas to save it but at least the anti logging led to a lot more forest fires! ) Regardless of how it was cancelled it is beyond time to bring it back in my opinion. The quota was so limited and included other deaths so there was not much argument that it would deplete the population. It got rid of problem bears because the stupid ones getting to close to towns etc were taken first. It raised money for the state instead of spending it to kill the SAME bears. ANYONE that was a resident could kill or at least buy a grizzly tag for 50 bucks. I guess we can argue about why it was challenged and shut down but it was by the same group of people whining loudest about Idaho's new wolf season. Seems like everyone praises the unlimited sheep hunts why wouldn't everyone want the ability to at least buy a grizzly tag? There is history there to study and realize it was effective but not detrimental to the bear population. I guess its fine if you disagree with why or how it was cancelled but I think we should focus on WHO got it cancelled. The same groups never seem to be held accountable for their past actions. If we disagree on having a grizzly season we will just have to disagree. Or we can still be pissed at ranchers
The tags weren't $50, they were way cheaper, there was a $50-$75 trophy fee, like lions, when you killed one.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the Spring season was the nail in the coffin...1993 or 1994 was the last spring hunt and it was limited quota (I applied and didn't draw). IIRC, it went for 2 spring seasons. There were at least 2 really dandy bears killed during the spring, one with a borrowed 30-30.

IMO, the fall season would have eventually gone away either way, but the Spring season drew a boat-load of attention to the grizzly hunt in Montana.

There's no way an unlimited hunt would happen now, and for good reasons. Too many people would know about the hunt, too many long-range rifles, too much fancy glass, gear, etc. to allow people to find success. I bet a 1-3 day season would smash the quota. Its also possible that if it was the same as the old season, depending on the mortality quota, most years wouldn't see a season at all. Too many bears getting killed by the FWP, vehicle collisions, poached, etc.

Its never going back to that, it will be LQ, best case....but do agree that a season is warranted.

The idea of killing problem bears with a hunt sounds good in theory, but never works in reality.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back