Caribou Gear

Missouri Breaks

Manderscheid

I will be driving through Montana in a couple of weeks. Would it be a waste of time to stop for a day of shed hunting in the Missouri Breaks, or would I be better off going somewhere else. I would really like to be someplace where I have a chance to find an elk shed as this is my first chance ever to go to Montana.

I will be driving through Montana in a couple of weeks. Would it be a waste of time to stop for a day of shed hunting in the Missouri Breaks, or would I be better off going somewhere else. I would really like to be someplace where I have a chance to find an elk shed as this is my first chance ever to go to Montana.

A large amount of the public elk habitat in the breaks is the CMR Russell Refuge, no shed hunting allowed.

I've looked around on the BLM surrounding it, and it's pretty hit or miss. It's a lot less obvious where the bulls winter than it is in the mountains. It gets a surprising amount of pressure as well, especially for how remote it is.

This late in the spring most areas have been hit hard already. I hit my honey hole a week later than normal and all I found were 4 wheeler tracks. That being said a had a great day hiking in some beautiful country. Plan to go for a hike and hope you find an antler.

I'll echo what others have said, strictly looking for elk sheds is gonna be tough. But you might as well stop for a hike, I guarantee you'll find something that will make it memorable.

Never know what you will find even if it's not a shed. Some Indian arrowheads or perhaps some dinasaur bones! You just never know.

Thanks for the responses! I definitely plan on stretching the legs and seeing some beautiful country no matter what. Really looking forward to it!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back