"Minute of Mule Deer" and Shot distance

Max Group size to determine Max Range on Mule Deer?

• 6"

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • 8"

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 10"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12"

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

2rocky

What do you think the Maximum 3 Shot group size should be for someone hunting Mule Deer in the mountains?

Imagine someone coming from out of state, practicing at home from a rest but not a benchrest. Not quite "Field Conditions".

They are going to use their group size to determine what their max shooting distance should be...

Mule deer aside, I've recently read that just any double lung shot isn't ideal. Indeed, a family member clipped the back of both lungs on a small whitetail and she was still alive the next day. Also you are going to lose some of your ability in field conditions. So 6 inch was my vote so you can hit in the center of the lungs around all the main arteries. I've hit a black bear with a rifle, a whitetail with a rifle, and three whitetail with a bow that way. Not one if them made it further than 40 yards or so.

Your distance will be determined by how far you can hit a 5-6 inch target EVERY time. If that is 200 yards then 200 yards is your range limit. If you can shoot 1 moa every time from your chosen shooting position then something closer to 500 might be doable for you. I have seen guys at the range that should not shoot over 100 yards. Only you can decide how far away you KNOW you can hit that deer where you need to.
If you are not experienced in shooting longer ranges then no matter how accurate your gun is you might consider 250-300 your personal limit or maybe even less. I keep a record of my deer and I can tell you that in 50+ years of hunting western states my average deer shot has been under 200 yards. In fact I haven't shot a deer past 150 in 3-4 years.

Last edited:
More important should be how well does the hunter shoot the rifle from field positions and adrenaline. A MOA rifle shot from a bench in calm conditions is much different than say off a backpack prone laying in the grass.
I'd say it should be under MOA and tested at whatever range they determine is their limit.

If the best you can shoot is a 6 inch group, then you shouldn't be hunting with a rifle.

I think OP means at an indeterminate distance, not 6" at 100y. If you pick an acceptable size of error one can then work backwards to set a max distance for the individual hunter. So, if from hunting positions you can routinely hit 6" at 300 yds then that is your max hunting range, but if you can do 6" at 500 yds then that is your max.

Last edited:
Alas, i'm with Mr. Cushman on this one.
OP does not state distance.
Met a couple last year preparing for a moose hunt in Nova Scotia. Shooting Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag.
They set up an 18" target at 300 yards. 3 shot group netted 1 at q2 oclock, 1 at 3 oclock, and one at 6 oclock. One the edges of the 18" circle. They thought that was really good. :eek:

I won't/ don't own a rifle that doesn't shoot 1 moa or better!

Nice shoot'n Tex!! Er, i mean psinclair!!

Course we would be more impressed if that were a 416 Rigby instead of 6mm Manbun.
Just say'n... Lol

If the best a shooter can do at 100yds from a bench is 6+", he doesn't deserve to be hunting! I haven't shot factory ammo in years but some how I think 1 1/2" to 2" is a reality with any of it in a factory rifle. Far to many people try shot's at longer ranges than they have an ability to hit at. Give one of them a rifle tht consistently shoot 1/2" at 100yds and they wouldn't hit a barn at 200yds! 6+" group's? You have to be kidding!

I interpreted the questions as; what size target could you hit at whatever your max shooting distance is, in order to feel comfortable shooting at a mule deer.

I think OP means at an indeterminate distance, not 6" at 100y. If you pick an acceptable size of error one can then work backwards to set a max distance for the individual hunter. So, if from hunting positions you can routinely hit 6" at 300 yds then that is your max hunting range, but if you can do 6" at 500 yds then that is your max.

He put 6 inches as the smallest group size. That's rediculous at any distance. A 6 inch group should never be the benchmark goal for intending to shoot on a real animal. I would say 2, or 3 inches at the most, which puts most people at 200-300 yards, which is suitable for most people's abilities. A 6 inch leeway is an aweful lot when you're shooting at an animal's vitals.

Nothing like arguing the meaning of an ambiguously worded question. Go shoot your guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back