MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Merrium South Dakota Turkey hunt

jsg

Looking to do a DIY or Semi-guided Merrium turkey hunt this spring in South Dakota; archery style! Any advice or suggestions on location, outfitter, or private lands with a trespass fee?

JSG

If you decide to cross the border there are lots in the Chadron and Crawford nebraska area. Pine Ridge NF,Grasslands, Ft Robinson, and various WMA's and walk in areas to hunt. You can buy 3 tags as well.

Ft. Robinson is a good spot to hunt and camp. Turkeys all along the white river. Must get a permit at the park office to hunt. The snack shack and Rock and Jans pit BBQ are good spots to eat. PM if you need more info.

Last edited:
Definitely Black Hills or Slim Buttes, but haven't been to the Buttes in a couple of years so not sure how the birds are as of late.

A guided turkey hunt is kinda like having your wife hold your hand as you are pushing out all that taco bell from the night before. It's nice, but not needed.

A guided turkey hunt is kinda like having your wife hold your hand as you are pushing out all that taco bell from the night before. It's nice, but not needed.
If you have to push after eating Taco Bell you are eating at different ones than I've ever visited. I don't consider going to Taco Bell as making a purchase, but more of a 30 minute rental. After the alloted time, I can impersonate a fire hose... :eek:

Definitely no need to pay for a guide or trespass fee in the black hills. Weather can be a big factor. Later the better. Sounds like some other great hunts nearby as well. Good luck. Send me a pm if you have any questions.

Black Hills National Forrest. 1.5 million acres, all public and very good turkey hunting.

I'll have to disagree, respecfully with Warmer. I was in the Black Hills 7 years ago and you couldn't drive 1/4 of a mile without hearing turkeys gobble. (yes, weather is a big factor). I have gone the last two years and it may be my last. Now you drive MILES & hope to hear a tom gobble. I remember sitting on ridges and hearing toms gobble all around.... now, very few gobbles in the dawn. Yes, I do get out and walk the forests where other people don't travel. I have talked to many locals and landowners and they all agree the the turkey numbers are way down from years past. Most blame the winters, wet springs of the past and of course mountain lions and coyotes. It is a beautiful area to hunt, just be prepared for lots of work and time trying to locate the toms. The best place to hunt is within a 10 mile radius of HIll City.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

good luck to all
the dog

May- the birds are a little more desperate and might have a chance to finda hot mature bird. April finds many of the big boys packing a pile of hens. Be aggressive with those birds for best results. Happy hunting.

If you go archery is that OTC?
Would may be better than April?

The only over the counter tags are for the Black Hills zones of South Dakota. NOTE: the only place to buy these tags are in teh state capital of Pierre. you must stop in pierre or order them via mail.... takes about one week to get via mail.

good luck to all
the dog

Plenty of birds here around Hot Springs and Custer, please come down and take as many as you please! I highly doubt you will have a tough time trying to find one of these birds! Everytime I drive to Custer there are several just off the highway.

I've been out in the Custer/Mt. Rushmore area several times and never had a problem finding birds. I'm seriously thinking of doing a 2 state hunt this May starting there and then going up into the Devils Tower area of Wyoming after a second one. I may even do what wyoming556 stated and hunt down toward where he lives and then up around Custer-----decision time is approaching! Geez, maybe I'll do all three, LOL!

Not sure where you live but if you are driving thru Nebraska to get to SD you better just hunt NE. Lots of Turkeys from North Platte on. Stop anywhere and ask permission and you will probably get it. Only been turned down twice in 3 years of asking. one of those was because they just turned bulls out in the pasture.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back