Medical Kit

YankeeHunter66

I am trying to get a handle on what I should be putting in my Mecical Kit, Or should I just buy one, Can someone please list out what they have in there medical kit

I'd suggest getting a premaid kit, adding a few days of your prescription meds to it and then adding as you go along. You'll find you'll add as you need (snakebit kit, epipens...) I also add beneadryl (bee allergy) and 2 epipens in my pack and 2 in my truck.

A military field dressing came in handy for me this year. I carried it in my pack for years and never need it. This year I was about to start skinning my deer while on a steep slope, my foot slipped, my hand holding the knife went forward to catch my balance and I stuck the knife into my calf. Luckily it just went under the skin and didn't cut any blood vessels, muscle or nerves. It was nice to have a larger bandage that covered the wound and could be wrapped around the limb and provide stabilization/compression to the wound versus a big band-aid. Large gauze pads and that stretchy medical tape/bandage material will serve the same purpose.

Ace bandage for sprains and can be used as a sling
Duct tape, can be a bandaid, used to make a splint, or cover blisters
Super glue, besides fixing stuff it will replace stitches in the back country
Tylenol
Benadryl chewables
Pepto pills
Spray neosporin

Other stuff
Toilet paper or paper towels to go with duct tape to make a bandaid
Quick clot in as small a package as possible

Diaper rash ointment, duct tape and antiacid are the most used things in my "med kit".

Buy a well appointed first aid kit to cover "little things", then supplement with supplies to address "big things" that are life or death if you are not close to help- for us that means bleeding and allergic reactions. Depending on the health of you or your hunting partners, potential hazards specific to the area, etc. you might have other "big things" you'd want to be prepared for.

I always end up adding latex gloves, benadryl, heavier and larger gauze pads, blood stop powder, ace bandage, super glue, Vet Wrap, some betadine.

Tampons and maxi pads (no joke) wrapped tightly with an ace bandage will do what quikclot will without the collateral flesh damage. This method is combat tested and proven. They spread and get bigger as they fill with blood and add to the compression of the wrap to help with applying direct pressure. I plugged more than a few bullet wounds with tampons and shrapnel wounds with maxi pads, both wrapped with ace wraps or duct tape in Iraq. I would also add a SAM split for stiff splinting wrapped with an ace wrap.

Last edited:
Tweezers.......splinters, ticks and cactus spines (although Spitz might use a multi-tool for the cactus)

I carry this kit and have added some things to it over the years. It's small enough to stuff in a cargo pocket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CZZVD...argid=kwd-107232817689&ref=pd_sl_64ghddbq8s_b

Most of the stuff I have added is "survival" stuff: thin boot knife wrapped in paracord, ace bandage, bic lighter, zip ties, and a combo whistle/compass/magnifying glass/signal mirror. I've been meaning to add some quick clot but may go with maxipads/tampons per John's comment.

John, if you have a minute, could you compile a list of first aid items that you think should be in a day pack, in remote country. I believe you are HT's expert when it comes to this topic.

Ditto the pads John!
Speedgoats list is good starter.
I have needle & sail thread in my EMS kit too,and have used it.
Aspirin
Small packets of Benodine solution or ointment.
Shock from loss of blood & an infection can lead to worse than a heart attack quick.
Clean water.So sometimes your filter can save you.

Lots of good ideas above. Tampons/pads are legit also the SAM splint is very good.
A few other items to consider for the most serious injuries: SWAT-T multi purpose tourniquet, this is more elastic wrap than tourniquet great as a pressure bandage with gauze. The CAT (combat action tourniquet) is light and what many first responders carry for personal use. Any combo of blood stopper pressure bandage like Israeli is good to have.
I was issued something called activated "Chito R" in gauze which I think is a newer type of quick clot. I was at a training where it was discouraged to use quick clot as straight powder. The trainers were very pro tourniquet use, contrary to what I was taught years ago.
A search of IPOK will pull up these items and give you an idea of SERIOUS injury care. This stuff is made for gun shot type wounds, but is applicable to general stoppage of bleeding from fall or mama Grizzly

What is the consensus on tourniquet use? I was always taught that in UNtrained hands it was probably more dangerous than not having one. Curious what you guys think. Especially John and Hank, and others that have real world experience.

What is the consensus on tourniquet use? I was always taught that in UNtrained hands it was probably more dangerous than not having one. Curious what you guys think. Especially John and Hank, and others that have real world experience.

They are being openly used now. A wide strap is suggested. After extensive studies in Iraq and Afghanistan the use of them saved a huge percentage of limbs without further permanent damage. Military medics and civilian EMTs are being trained to use them quickly. They don't have the 'do not use' stigma they used to. When we'd get into a firefight in an ambush and I had a couple of guys down, I had no problem slinging them without thinking twice so I didn't need to take guys out of the fight from the platoon while I was working to help me, then I could back into the fight quicker when they were stable. If you are bleeding out, get one on.

Last edited:
Ace bandage is one of the most valuable. You can wrap sprains of course, but the stretch material will do a good job of stopping a serious bleed too. I've had my horse get a bad cut from some old barb wire buried in the grass, and wrapped his hock with it once.
Mole skin is probably the best thing to have if you get a hot spot on your foot, that's about 1/4 mile away from becoming a blister. You wreck your feet, you're done hunting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back