• Thank you for creating an account on Hunt Talk! We require that all new users contribute at least 10 posts before gaining the ability to start new threads. Once you have made 10 posts, you will be able to start new threads in the forum.

Meateater article on Truck camp. Question on bed drawers....

2rocky

The latest article out of the Meateater fellas, talks about setting up a pickup for a truck camp. One of the components they feature is a set of bed drawers.

My question is , has anyone had luck making the top level surface a slide out as well?

The reason I ask is that I see people with truck toppers who want to load six 80 pound sacks or 3 bales of hay on the top of those and it is a PAIN to get the one into the front.

Thought if the lop level could pull out you could load it without ducking under the canopy, then slide the deck in.

Something like this on the top of the drawers....

Backofbeyond

I have some home-made drawers in the back of my truck, and yes, it would be nice to have something like that BedSlide on top, but (and it's a big but) that would put the sleeping surface another 4" +/- closer to the roof. That's headroom that I'm not willing to give up myself, but may be worth it for you.

If my garage door was another 2' taller I'd put a cargo rack on my canopy, but I've got about 2" to spare. I'm working on a rack for my cooler that mounts into my receiver hitch. I want it to be big enough for my big Yeti cooler, but have a knuckle/hinge in it to fold down and allow access to the tail gate without taking it off. I have a couple "idears" but have to do some testing to see what works out.

2rocky

I have some home-made drawers in the back of my truck, and yes, it would be nice to have something like that BedSlide on top, but (and it's a big but) that would put the sleeping surface another 4" +/- closer to the roof. That's headroom that I'm not willing to give up myself, but may be worth it for you.
I can set up a tent and/or cot pretty quick. I did the Truck bed sleeping in college when I'd drive 2 days from home to school. But that was on the floor of the 8 ft bed.