Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Meat Eater Weatherby

tzone

Anybody have one? I saw on set up a "package" at SW last week and it looked like a pretty sweet rifle. It was lighter than most of the Weatherby's I've fondled. It was set up with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14, and a bi-pod. Overall it balanced quite well.

It was a an interesting set up for sure. I think I can do better on my own putting that package together thought. It had a sticker of $1600. I know I could do better by at least $150 by putting it together myself. I'm considering the rifle for a winter project though. What do you guys think?

It would be a much more interesting rifle if it didn't have the same stock as the $400 vanguard......
Couldn't you just get a Howa with HS Precision and VX 5 HD for the same price or pretty close? Better stock, better scope. Or with the VX 3, less. Just sayin'. No skin in the game. I hate synthetic stocks, but if I was going to buy one, I would want a good one.

But, I'm not a bro, so I guess I'm clueless.

Couldn't you just get a Howa with HS Precision and VX 5 HD for the same price or pretty close? Better stock, better scope. Or with the VX 3, less. Just sayin'. No skin in the game. I hate synthetic stocks, but if I was going to buy one, I would want a good one.

But, I'm not a bro, so I guess I'm clueless.

You certainly could. The bottom line is you are paying a premium price for a lot of window dressing with the same foundation as the baseline Vanguard/howa 1500. Even the Weatherby Wilderness is a way better deal....

You certainly could. The bottom line is you are paying a premium price for a lot of window dressing with the same foundation as the baseline Vanguard/howa 1500. Even the Weatherby Wilderness is a way better deal....
Yep. Not to say that the base Vanguard isn’t a good rifle, because it is, but all the extra $1000 gets you is cerakote, spiral flutes, and a paint job. The Vanguard Wilderness with a B&C stock is a great deal.

I'm not a Weatherby snob but Vanguards branded as Weatherbys should have an asterisk....and I've owned & operated both. Branding any rifle with a marketing entity (insert celeb or nascar sponsor here) doesn't make it what it isn't.

Haven't held one but I think $1600 might be a bit much but dudes are tossing a ton of money into having all things MeatEater these days. Surprised they didn't have Vortex on it.

Apparently Weatherby also has a HUSH edition. Weatherby is really getting after the bro culture these days

Well I'd rather it didn't have anything on the bottom metal, lol. The first thing I thought of when I saw that was, Is bottom metal available? Truthfully, if the rig wasn't on the counter from someone else looking at it, I'd probably not have grabbed it. But I'm kinda glad I did. I don't have a .308 currently and that one was .308. It got my wheels spinning. After looking at some prices, I'm pretty sure I could set it up for $300 less the same way. But, I'm not sure I even want the bi-pod, so could do quite a bit better on the gun alone.

That's good to know. Thank you. I'm going to have to look now. I do like the fluted barrel, though I don't care if it's threaded or not.

I haven't watched the new MeatEater episodes but are they using this rifle in them? Last I saw they were using the Mark V Backcountry or something like that.

I haven't watched the new MeatEater episodes but are they using this rifle in them? Last I saw they were using the Mark V Backcountry or something like that.
Not the meateater rifle but the backcountry Mark V. Adam Weatherby is in 2 episodes, good stuff.

I never could get on board with a spiral fluted barrel. I need my guns to be ugly enough to scratch up climbing through hellholes looking for bears.

The functional aspects of the gun look pretty good though. I like the three position safety and the prethreaded barrel. But with a bit of knowwho you could build a pretty solid remington 700 or tikka t3x that did everything this gun does at the same price point, just better.

The price seemed right on par to me!?
That said I could due without the logos.
I would love to burn the barrel out of one in 6.5-300WB but I probably never will.

Haven't held one but I think $1600 might be a bit much but dudes are tossing a ton of money into having all things MeatEater these days. Surprised they didn't have Vortex on it.

Apparently Weatherby also has a HUSH edition. Weatherby is really getting after the bro culture these days
“Bro culture these days” This made me LOL & brought joy to my heart. Thanks for the laugh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back