Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Meat Eater Weatherby

Hushing, they were on Randy's podcast once. Frankly, they aren't even in the same league as Randy.

I was shed hunting up in jarbidge and glassed that hush guy up. My buddy met him across the canyon pretty cool dude from his encounter but if I had run into him I’d have no clue who he was prior to that event. Ps not into flat brims

I think one of the Hushin crew back in the day posted on here before he got hooked up with them.

I haven't watched the new MeatEater episodes but are they using this rifle in them? Last I saw they were using the Mark V Backcountry or something like that.

I don't know either. That show is boring to me so I don't watch it.

I never could get on board with a spiral fluted barrel. I need my guns to be ugly enough to scratch up climbing through hellholes looking for bears.

The functional aspects of the gun look pretty good though. I like the three position safety and the prethreaded barrel. But with a bit of knowwho you could build a pretty solid remington 700 or tikka t3x that did everything this gun does at the same price point, just better.

The fluted barrel isn't for looks or something that you're going to damage. It's for weight reduction and cooling.

The fluted barrel isn't for looks or something that you're going to damage. It's for weight reduction and cooling.

I'll bite.

Cooling: How many shots do you need to take down an animal? Cooling might be good at the range, but other than that it's just for looks.
Weight Reduction: I'd rather have a stiffer barrel than cut weight.

Both of these things can be accomplished through different mechanics (shorter barrel, thicker barrel, straight fluting, etc) yeah those different mechanics will involve different trade offs, but I would argue for hunting purposes the spiral fluting is purely aesthetic. Nothing wrong with that, my wife needs her guns to be pretty so that she wants to spend time with them. A gun needs to fit a shooters personality, I happen prefer raw functionality over form. If I can get both that is great, but I rarely find anything that does this for me.

It looks cool though.

I'll bite.

Cooling: How many shots do you need to take down an animal? Cooling might be good at the range, but other than that it's just for looks.
Weight Reduction: I'd rather have a stiffer barrel than cut weight.

Both of these things can be accomplished through different mechanics (shorter barrel, thicker barrel, straight fluting, etc) yeah those different mechanics will involve different trade offs, but I would argue for hunting purposes the spiral fluting is purely aesthetic. Nothing wrong with that, my wife needs her guns to be pretty so that she wants to spend time with them. A gun needs to fit a shooters personality, I happen prefer raw functionality over form. If I can get both that is great, but I rarely find anything that does this for me.

It looks cool though.

I would say the cooling is for the range not for hunting. If you're heating up your barrel while hunting, you better get back to the range. :D With the flutes you can have a stiff barrel and cut weight, and that's the main reason for them. I'm not sure it matters if they're straight or spiral. It doesn't to me anyway. I prefer straight really, but don't care.

I've always wondered if a fluted barrel would be a PIA to clean... just more surface area and more spots of condensation to collect and rust. Maybe a non issue but something I've thought about.

View attachment 154218
Had to put a new stock on it. Rifle ($700), stock minus selling old stock ($250), and VX5HD ($650) about equals $1600!

Keep in mind, this was a "fun" project.

That is an awesome looking stock!!

So with both this rifle and the randy rifle... folks are talking about building your own for cheaper. Are you guys actually turning your own wrenches or is it actually cheaper to order all the parts and then to take it to a gun smith to put it together?

Apparently I suck at putting tire sealant in my bike tires... so the idea of assembling a rifle is daunting + buying the tools seems like it would cut into that cost saving delta.

I've always wondered if a fluted barrel would be a PIA to clean... just more surface area and more spots of condensation to collect and rust. Maybe a non issue but something I've thought about.

So with both this rifle and the randy rifle... folks are talking about building your own for cheaper. Are you guys actually turning your own wrenches or is it actually cheaper to order all the parts and then to take it to a gun smith to put it together?

Apparently I suck at putting tire sealant in my bike tires... so the idea of assembling a rifle is daunting + buying the tools seems like it would cut into that cost saving delta.

I'll turn my own wrench when I can. If it requires a metal lathe, then I'll get a pro involved.

Pretty easy to put together really. It's really just screws for the most part.

It's a bit more difficult to clean, but not a big deal really. The spirals might more problematic.

....this one's backwards.
View attachment 154266
1600466264184.png

"Um cool logo there guy, how'd you come up with it?"

"Dude bro, I took this shot at a bull at like 100 yards and hit him in the shoulder. He ran off and I couldn't find him."

:oops:

"Oh well like 2 weeks later he came back and I shot him in the liver and then let him die this slow agonizing death, while listening the entire time from a hundred yards back."

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 154390

"Um cool logo their guy, how'd you come up with it?"

"Dude bro, I took this shot at a bull at like 100 yards and hit him in the shoulder. He ran off and I couldn't find him."

"Oh well like 2 weeks later he came back and I shot him in the liver and then let him die this slow agonizing death, while listening the entire time from a hundred yards back."

Haters gonna hate bruh. #hushlife #firebull #sendit #mtnops #blessed #ifarrowsaintflyinshitaintdyin

View attachment 154390

"Um cool logo there guy, how'd you come up with it?"

Just what I want, a decal of someone else's elk on my rifle.

Yes his shots weren't the best (not too many of HUSH's are come to think about it), but man that is one crazy amazing elk hunting story.

Back