Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Me and my Asses

DRAFTSTUD

I spent a good deal of my life like everyone else working for the Family and that has never changed, but I always wanted a Horse or a Mule. When we purchased our place in Shreveport I finally had enough room to get some animals. First I bought a Paint Mare for Travo and I bought myself a Belgium Cross Mule. Then I bought a Quarter Horse. That wasn't enough so I traded my Mule and some money for 2 Large Mules, gentle giants.....until the Ace wore off! They could run through a 4x4 post fence like it was a Pencil. Got rid of them, you would be surprised how far a Mules neck will stretch being pulled into a Horse trailer by a Kubota tractor! Got rid of the Quarter Horse, made $100 on that deal. Just need another $4000 and I would break even. Travo's paint threw him and after some debate we decided to do what everyone should do, buy the oldest, still fit horse you can find and let them teach you about riding.
I decided to sell the Paint, she was just too Hot for us as Rookies. I had a lady drive up to see this horse. Now this Lady did not shop in the Hanna Montana section of Walmart, if ya get my drift. More like the Rosie O'Donnell section, anyway I tell her the horse needs to be run in a round pen and brought around slowly. Well, she just had to ride the Bitch from Hell, so I saddled her up and told her that this was my property and I would ride her first to see what kind of mood she was in. I got one foot in a stirrup and away we went! She threw me so high in the air I had time to think "This is really gonna hurt!". And it did! I broke 6 Ribs and pulled my ass loose from my pelvis. The lady comes running up to me and wants to know how much I will take for the Paint.........did she not see me fly though the air, all she had to do was look up! I said that I really would like to just go into the house and rest now.....but I said you give me $200 and that Horse is yours. She used to return my E-mails about the horse, but I haven't heard from her lately.
Here is what a 4 legged Spacehip looks like.
picture.php

Then I bought a Tennessee Walking Horse, beautiful and strong animal, broke 2 ribs on her dragging an Elk out in Colorado. Then I talked my buddy Wes into driving down to Mamou, Louisiana and buying a couple of Cajun Mules, Tessie and Mac. I kept Tessie as all I had were Mares anyway. She and Mac were well built and just needed some Saddle time to finish out. We took them for the to a local WMA to ride them the first time, after the Ambulance came and got Wes I had to call his Wife to meet us at the Hospital. Women always think your joking when you tell them "Your husband hit the ground like mashed taters slung from a spoon!" He recovered fairly fast and should have the Hospital paid off this year. I can still hear Wes as he rode away at a High rate of speed "Whoa, Whoa, Please Mac Whoa!"
Here is Wes and Mac. We had to stretch his neck with a F250, but he loaded up just fine for the ride to the Auction House!
picture.php

We bought Wes an Older Horse also. Now we took my 2 horses and Tessie along with Wes' Horse to Riudoso, NM on a Bear Hunt that was alot of fun. I bet I rode my Tessie Mule 20 miles though those Mountains and had people wanting to buy her!
This is Tessie, she is 8 or 9. She is on the Left.
picture.php

I kinda let everything cool down for awhile until I saw an ad for a Mule, Harness and Cart for sale for $1500. Well, I just had to check this out. What a find, Lucy is 22 and has more energy than all my animals combined, plus she was dead broke for Driving and Riding.
Here is Lucy the day we got her, still a little Wooley from the Winter.
picture.php

picture.php

We have an annual Poke Salad Festival Parade that I have ridden in on my TWH Shadow, Last year I decided to Drive Lucy in the Parade as her owner said she had been in many Parades and Trail Rides. I started collecting Throws and Candy to pitch to the Kids and I Vacumn Sealed some Mule Turds with a label Mule Egg and put Planting instructions on them, these I threw to my Friends standing with their children!
Here is Wes and I harnessing Lucy. Look how different she looks after a trim!
picture.php

And away we go!
picture.php

They put us behind some Motorcycles. Everytime they drove off, Lucy followed, they stopped, she stopped. Unbelieveable find in this Mule.
Throwing Candy and Turds!
picture.php

picture.php

The Funniest part right after this is that after we went past the Judging Platform the Motorcycles drove off at a pretty good clip, well Lucy decided she needed to stay up with them. We were slinging Beads, candy and Vacumn Sealed Mule Turds as fast as we could. Great stuff!
Oh yeah, Travo rode something also. LOL John
picture.php

Last edited:
Looks like Travis is saddled up to somthin a lot better lookin than what Lucy is teathered to!

Thanks for the share John.

Looks like you got some beautiful animals looks like lots of work to me reminds me of when I was on the farm glad I am not doing the dairy farming anymore

Those are some good looking asses the only thing that would make them look better is a double diamond and a nice elk rack.
Jay

That is a good looking mule. At 22 she is just hitting her prime. I'd like to find a good mule but I don't know if I want to sort through all the bad ones out there.

I go on an annual trailride with a bunch of guys who ride mules and they seem to have some good stock. Lord knows it isn't cause they ride 'em a bunch!

What is it about Mules and Hounds that make folks stretch tales the way they do? Is it in the Ears?

2rocky, I think people saw me as what I was, a Rookie on buying Horses and Mules. I knew nothing about Aceing a Mule so that it acts like a pet dog! So, I made up my mind to Look and not be afraid to walk away. I looked at one Molly Mule in Houston where they were looking for a TWH and I was looking for a good saddle Mule. I saddled up Shadow (TWH) and she gaited all around the place, then I rode their Mule, not even what they had said it was. I told them Thanks, but no Thanks...well all of a sudden they were wanting to swap me the Mule and a Quarter Horse. That is the biggest part of owning Horses and Mules, if they won't work in your program or they are too hot for you, move on. John

Last edited:
John those are great pictures! I would love to have a good mule. I'll trade ya a couple kids for that good one;) I took my four year old out on mine today. Just lead him around. He was excited and kept telling me "that's a good horse, lets get his cage and take him home":D Hopefully I can keep him interested along with my other yippers. I love horses.

Paints and mules???

Too proud to ride a cow and too poor to afford a horse?

Couldnt resist...actually some great looking animals, congrats!

Well M.R. Byrd, Your halfway to a Mule! I am working on a Trail Wagon in my shop trying to get it ready for the Parades coming up. We want to Dress up or Dress down to classic Turn of the Century.....not the last one, the one before that! That kinda blows your mind! Anyway I have to get it going if I am going to get it ready in time. This is what we are shooting for.
picture.php

I have the Drivetrain with the same wheels already and I have started welding the Reisers for the sides. John

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back