Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Maybe I'm the one who's nuts... thoughts on the great ammo & reloading run of '21

Do you suppose the demand side has quite peaked yet? Hard to imagine this going on much longer with the manufacturers not being able to keep up.

I didn't handload or really even shoot that much in 2013, but I keep hearing references to that shortage. Was that one as bad as this?

Do you suppose the demand side has quite peaked yet? Hard to imagine this going on much longer with the manufacturers not being able to keep up.

I didn't handload or really even shoot that much in 2013, but I keep hearing references to that shortage. Was that one as bad as this?
I don't recall that one being quite as bad.

I'm not super optimistic that this one is close to over. My guess is it will continue until/through Spring, when people start getting distracted by other pursuits.

I don't recall that one being quite as bad.

I'm not super optimistic that this one is close to over. My guess is it will continue until/through Spring, when people start getting distracted by other pursuits.
I disagree with you on this. I only see it getting worse..

With the intentions of the current administration aired, it has done nothing but push the frenzy even harder. This time around has been much worse than any of the previous ones I can remember.

No it was not. The only long lasting shortages were 9mm, 380, .22lr, .223, and a few specific powders and primers. Handloaders could usually just use a different powder or primer than they preferred, but were much less effected for a much shorter period of time than this one.

No, the worst is yet to come. Biden administration just announced a push on more gun bans. Not sure why that’s their priority at the moment but only adds fuel to the demand fire.

I was visiting my hunting buddy at his gun shop yesterday. He received a phone call from one of his distributors while I was there. He flipped the phone to speaker. The distributor advised he had absolutely zero hunting ammo in the warehouse and did not know when they would be receiving any. He could only ship one case of 9mm,a few boxes of .223, and some shotgun slugs. He had no AR type rifles at all. Regarding handguns, he could ship 2 or 3 at the most. I'm thinking my decision to purchase some ammo recently at $10.00 per box over normal was a good choice.

Probably just luck of the draw but I've been seeing hunting ammo sticking to the shelves in a few of my regular gun shops longer then they had been previously. In the last month I've run into the majority of common rifle calibers at only slightly jacked up prices.

I am glad to see that now that the stores have completely sold out of their ammunition in a fit of greed, that a lot of the stores are limiting how many boxes you can buy. I haven't purchased a box of lead shotgun shells in years (I reload my own and have quite a stash) but I did see about 100 boxes of 12 gauge shells on the shelf the other day (I didn't buy any).

An older guy was standing there at the shotgun shells in Grady's Sporting Goods and I said I bet you never thought you would ever pay $15 for a box of 12 gauge shells" he said "Oh these are great prices right now and they are a hard to find right now, I wish they would let you buy more than 2!"

Trust me, that guy wasn't shooting those shells, he was there to buy as many as he could to re-sell them....

I walked away chuckling.

I don't feed into these things much. Watching the waterfowl ammunition slowly disappear kind of forced my hand into buying a couple cases I didn't need. I can't believe people are so hard up they are willing to decimate steel waterfowl ammunition stockpiles.

I think it will continue until April. The people paying high dollar for ammo have to run out of that much disposable money sooner or later right? I saw an eight pound jug of retumbo being sold for over 1500 on gun broker. It had 32 bids. You know it takes 2 crazies to bid it that high.

It might stop faster than we think. I was at a cabelas today and they had ammo on the shelf. They didn't have everything but they did have a mix of stuff. 40, 270, 308, 300 wm lots of shotgun ammo. I asked if they had just gotten a shipment in they said 3 days ago.

I have been able to buy 7mm-08 the last two times I was in Sportsmans. 270 win is nonexistent. Lots 6mm CM, 300RUM, 6.8 Western and 26 and 28 nosler.

Irrationality and ignorance that leads to panic buying then toss in a
large smattering of opportunism and greed and this is what you get.
Pretty hard to be sympathetic to largly self induced situation.

I've had good luck lately by keeping an eye on major ammo manufacturers websites. I check daily and have been able to find the factory ammo (enough for the 2021 season) I hunt with for most of my rifles. I also have seen rifle ammo on store shelves lately.

Been sitting there forever.

Attachments

• 20210213_165329.jpg
    20210213_165329.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 20210213_165323.jpg
    20210213_165323.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
Back