Maven RS.1 Riflescope

Or quality glass, reliable tracking, return to zero, durability. Unless that $300 scope is a SWFA.
Sounds like you have never had a $300 scope! if you can see clearly through $150 glass, what's the need of $1200 glass? Reliale tracking? I zero my scope's and leave them there. Return to zero? Had an inexpensive 4 1/2-14 on my 6.5x06 to shoot long range, 500yds, with. Dialed the scope up and down a lot and it always returned to zero, didn't cost anywhere near $1200. Durability! Have two old Redfields, Denver scopes about 50 yrs old now and never a problem with either; have a 4x Weaver about 50 yrs old, no problem's. have a 3-9x Bushnell Banner pushing 50 yrs and works great! if I were a competative shooter I might actually look at more expensive scopes but not sure why. Between a $300 scope and a $1200 scope is $900. What can you possibilely do to a #00 scope the increase it's value by bthat much. take a $150, $250, $300, $500, $800 and $1200 scope and mount them so you can't tell which is which, all same crosswires. Look through them and tell me which is which! Most likeely you'd have to guess! Understand I don't really care how much you want to spend on a scope but tese high dollar scopes get bragged up on quite a bit as though they are unmatchable, just isn't so!

if you had a $2500 custom rifle with a $1200 scope on it that shot 1/2" 100 yd groups and an off the shelf $350 rifle with a $200 scope on it that shot 1/2" groups at 100 yds the difference is you paid an extra $3150 dollars to get a rifle thatshoot's as good as the off the shelf rifle! The best salesmen company's like this have are those that really thing they are getting something a whols lot better and all it cots was money! take all the $1000+ scopes and put them in a line, which is the best?

Maybe the thing to do is quit comparing $1000+ scopes to $200 scopes and compare themto other $1000+ scopes! But no way can you convince me that a scope that expensive is worth all the extra money!

Last edited:
Sounds likeyou have never had a $300 scope!
Definitely have and still do on my original hunting rifle. Even killed a buck at 515 yards with it. I’ve just moved onto a different hunting style and terrain and for my purposes other scopes work much better.

Exactly, so if someone uses a $300 dollar scope suited to their style, who gives a shit. mtmuley
I don’t and everyone is entitled to use whatever they want. I was merely stating the difference between a $300 and $1200 scope and it’s not just bragging rights.

Last edited:
So since I’m the OP I’ll lay some context down for Don, I have had the same scope on my rifle for 20 years (first scope I ever got on a rifle). I bought a $400 Vortex for my wife and have had nothing but issues. As far as my scope, I have looked through higher end glass and yes there is a difference. So I’m ready to upgrade. Do I kill game with mine currently? Of course I do. So this pissing match about buying a high end scope is a moot point to me, I know what I want as far as upgrading, and unless you have a valuable opinion about the wants/needs I was asking about, then really the pissing match about $70 scope to $1200 scope is as I just described. If I hurt any feelers I’ll apologize but frankly don’t care. Thank you to those who have offered VALID input.

Not trying to be an ass, but this doesn't put you in a great position to levy an opinion on the topic. No issue if you haven't had a need for a more feature rich scope, but that is not what the guy asked.
Your not being an ass. I know your probably right about that! My study group is zero! I also think that whatever I think about it will be ignored by anyone wanting one. Come to think of it, off topic, I was reading some post's on fishing reels some time back. One guy was going off about how crappy this one reel was and I couldn't believe anything was that bad. So looked it up and about $45 brand new. For $45 dollars I bit just to see for myself, my opinion is it's a great reel worth more than the asking price was. Now had that been one of those special $400 reels I'd never have tried it, hell I just wanted to catch some fish! Come's to shooting equipment, I found over the years that the far less expensive stuff generally work way out of proporation to it's cost. The upper end most likely works very well also but what a price to pay. someone mentioned he'd tried a Vortex and I got the impression he just wasn't thrilled with it. Also got the impressionnhis sample group was one! Good point here is if you pay enough your gonna expect more. But what do you do if up get one that get's past quality control that shouldn't have? Myself I'd send it back to be fixed and give it another go. I stronly suspect that the Vortex is no Night Force but I can afford the Vortex. Just recently got my first one and no complaint's on it,,,,yet! A number of years ago I was in the shop of one of the hight dollar scope makers. Talked with one owner for a while and looked at his scope's. His partner was in the back room putting together scope's with parts they bought from Asian countries. Lot of people really like those scope's and maybe rightfully so but price is way out of my league. I suspect you could buy parts to make scopes yourself and get all the parts for it from Tasco, call it hand made and charge $1200!

Your not being an ass. I know your probably right about that! My study group is zero! I also think that whatever I think about it will be ignored by anyone wanting one. Come to think of it, off topic, I was reading some post's on fishing reels some time back. One guy was going off about how crappy this one reel was and I couldn't believe anything was that bad. So looked it up and about $45 brand new. For $45 dollars I bit just to see for myself, my opinion is it's a great reel worth more than the asking price was. Now had that been one of those special $400 reels I'd never have tried it, hell I just wanted to catch some fish! Come's to shooting equipment, I found over the years that the far less expensive stuff generally work way out of proporation to it's cost. The upper end most likely works very well also but what a price to pay. someone mentioned he'd tried a Vortex and I got the impression he just wasn't thrilled with it. Also got the impressionnhis sample group was one! Good point here is if you pay enough your gonna expect more. But what do you do if up get one that get's past quality control that shouldn't have? Myself I'd send it back to be fixed and give it another go. I stronly suspect that the Vortex is no Night Force but I can afford the Vortex. Just recently got my first one and no complaint's on it,,,,yet! A number of years ago I was in the shop of one of the hight dollar scope makers. Talked with one owner for a while and looked at his scope's. His partner was in the back room putting together scope's with parts they bought from Asian countries. Lot of people really like those scope's and maybe rightfully so but price is way out of my league. I suspect you could buy parts to make scopes yourself and get all the parts for it from Tasco, call it hand made and charge $1200!
That someone was the me the OP and the “one” Vortex purchase became four different scopes of the same model on one rifle, along with being there first-hand when other scopes of that brand bite the dust. Don’t assume a sample size, and don’t assume that I haven’t done my research about upgrading into a more quality product. I understand some product punches above price point, and if you have a bone to pick about pricing then start another thread. I don’t take dropping a chunk of change on a scope lightly and am tired of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge type of fights.

@huntid73 if you do get that Maven scope please come back and give your thoughts on it. I've been thinking about the RS.4 since they came out with it. I've never looked through any Maven riflescopes, but I do have their B.5 binos and have been very happy with them. I got a pair of the B.5's on their Demo program and spent a couple of days messing around with them, a pair of Vortex Kaibab and my brother's Swaros. I ended up with the Maven's.

@huntid73 if you do get that Maven scope please come back and give your thoughts on it. I've been thinking about the RS.4 since they came out with it. I've never looked through any Maven riflescopes, but I do have their B.5 binos and have been very happy with them. I got a pair of the B.5's on their Demo program and spent a couple of days messing around with them, a pair of Vortex Kaibab and my brother's Swaros. I ended up with the Maven's.
Well I looked through the previous threads on here and saw a lot of folks commenting about Maven binos and spotters. Just not a lot of chatter about riflescopes! If I do go the Maven route I will be sure to post here.

That someone was the me the OP and the “one” Vortex purchase became four different scopes of the same model on one rifle, along with being there first-hand when other scopes of that brand bite the dust. Don’t assume a sample size, and don’t assume that I haven’t done my research about upgrading into a more quality product. I understand some product punches above price point, and if you have a bone to pick about pricing then start another thread. I don’t take dropping a chunk of change on a scope lightly and am tired of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge type of fights.
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings or I would have used your screen name! Just like a comment wrote about me shitting on the thread. having a different opinion is shitting on a thread? Sorry, I didn't know that. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back