Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Maven RS.1 Riflescope

huntid73

I have seen some discussion on the Maven binos, but I was curious if anyone has used the Maven RS.1 Riflescope. I am looking at upgrading my optic, and am hoping to buy once, cry once. I recently had a rodeo with Vortex, so not really looking there. I'm also open to other suggestions. I am looking into a FFP Scope, and eventually have custom turrets added. Thanks.

Never looked through one but I read good things. I like the capped windage option. I cannot say anything about value since there are so many scopes that offer the same for a similar price.

My preference in a FFP is for illuminated reticle for low light conditions on low magnification as FFP reticles can be hard to see however I know several states have rules against illuminated reticles so my choice would be to the Bushnell LRHS2 currently sold by GA Precision. That scope is manufactured by LOW in Japan and have a price tag $300 lower than the Maven.

I am always a little wary when I see to many features packed into a value package. There are certainly values out there, but I am usually inclined to prioritize the feature that is really important to me and invest in that... That said, I have heard good things about the Bushnell LRHS2. I have quite a bit of experience with the Nightforce SHV; which are right in that price range too...

I’ve had a couple of the gen 1 LRHS, they were very solid. I have had an LRTSi on my Tikka for a couple of years and it’s been great, no complaints. I’d use an LRHS2 no prob, though I’d rather have 3-12 x’s.

I have fixed 10x SWFA’s on my light gun and kids rifle, which are light on features but great for the money. They have tracked and held zero perfectly, as have the other 4 or 5 SWFA’s I’ve had.

If you’re an moa guy that takes the LRHS/LRTS off your list.

I’ve had a couple of the gen 1 LRHS, they were very solid. I have had an LRTSi on my Tikka for a couple of years and it’s been great, no complaints. I’d use an LRHS2 no prob, though I’d rather have 3-12 x’s.

I have fixed 10x SWFA’s on my light gun and kids rifle, which are light on features but great for the money. They have tracked and held zero perfectly, as have the other 4 or 5 SWFA’s I’ve had.

If you’re an moa guy that takes the LRHS/LRTS off your list.
There are MOA LRHS out there but they’re unicorns.

THERE are MOA LRHS out THERE but THEIR unicorns.
I had one and foolishly got rid of it when I sold the rifle it was on and didn’t need an “extra” scope.

Last edited:
The Maven are a nice scope but I’d definitely look at a SHV or LRHS2 also especially if you are considering dialing.
I would prefer to stay MOA, so hopefully I don't have to hunt down a unicorn for the LRHS2, I do like the SHR reticle in the Maven, but also like the MOAR on the Nightforce, just out of curiousity, why would you recommend the SHV over the Maven?

I would prefer to stay MOA, so hopefully I don't have to hunt down a unicorn for the LRHS2, I do like the SHR reticle in the Maven, but also like the MOAR on the Nightforce, just out of curiousity, why would you recommend the SHV over the Maven?
I like the MOAR reticle but some people do not. There are some SHV available with the force plex also. The SHV has proven to track very reliably and return to zero.

I am also looking at buying the RS1. I looked through one in lander and was impressed but it was inside. If you are a Muley fanatic member you may get a discount for maven depending on what membership you have.

Unbelieveable. Another high price scope! What do people really expect from a scope? The buy once cry once saying is absolutely stupid. People running all around wanting the absolute best money can buy and some guy like myself hunting with a 50 yr old $80 scope and never had a hitch with it in it's life. How do you better that?

Unbelieveable. Another high price scope! What do people really expect from a scope? The buy once cry once saying is absolutely stupid. People running all around wanting the absolute best money can buy and some guy like myself hunting with a 50 yr old $80 scope and never had a hitch with it in it's life. How do you better that?
I'm not sure how we could go on without this extremely valuable contribution to this thread. Thank you for enlightening everyone.

Watch your own bobber and Sir please pull up to the second window at Wendy’s.

Based on inflation that $80 scope costs $531.96 in today's money so using your line of reasoning it's really only like spending $180 in 1972

Oh! And in todays economy how much is $550? let's see I was making $550 in 1972 and SS today is $1951. Does that mean my 1972 income based on inflation was about $1400? What makes a $1200 scope actually worth $1200 other than the idea your willing topay for it? I have enough money to buy one of those scopes what I can't do is justify the cost, I just hunt with my scopes! At some point everything seem's to attain a price where the price simply cannot be justified but people buying on price actually think they are getting a better product and are much more vocal about it.

In my opinion what you get in a $1200 scope you don't get in a $300 scope is bragging right's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back