Marriage 2.0

Irrelevant

Jennifer May was great on that one, she's got some great tips for us guys who married non-hunter wives (or at least minimal hunter). Ms. Lampers was very nice and made some good point, but she sure likes to hear herself talk.

I feel bad because I can't remember who said it, but one of the girls made the great point that as a guy hearing Randy, someone many of us look up to, preach the gospel on good marriage practices has helped me re-evaluate what I was doing. And I realized how selfish I am or at least how selfish I can be. It sucks to cut back on the hunting in order to provide that equal experiences for my wife ($$ and time) but it's the right thing to do.

So I learned that if you want your wife to hunt with you, you:

-Don't get up too early
-Don't hunt too late in the day
-Don't go when it's hot
-Don't go when it's cold
-Don't sleep in a tent
-Don't hike fast or far
-Keep good food and good coffee on hand

Come to think of it, those all sound like pretty good ideas!

In all seriousness, I think my wife and I have a pretty good arrangement worked out. If I go on a trip, I can count on some semi-major project (bathroom remodel, wainscoting in laundry room, shiplap walls, etc.) at least getting started while I'm away. She likes it because she's calling the shots on these big projects, I like it because it seems to pacify her and keep her busy while I'm away.

So I learned that if you want your wife to hunt with you, you:

-Don't get up too early
-Don't hunt too late in the day
-Don't go when it's hot
-Don't go when it's cold
-Don't sleep in a tent
-Don't hike fast or far
-Keep good food and good coffee on hand

Come to think of it, those all sound like pretty good ideas!

In all seriousness, I think my wife and I have a pretty good arrangement worked out. If I go on a trip, I can count on some semi-major project (bathroom remodel, wainscoting in laundry room, shiplap walls, etc.) at least getting started while I'm away. She likes it because she's calling the shots on these big projects, I like it because it seems to pacify her and keep her busy while I'm away.

That is a wise list. Is also applicable if you are taking young kids. I would take my grade schooler niece spring turkey hunting. We would use a pop-up blind and while hunting she could play her pocket video game all she wanted and even took a nap or two. The tent kept her dry if was raining and cut down on the wind effect. If a turkey came in then she was all into the hunt. The hours of not much other than some squirrels, birds, hawks, etc, did not hold her attentions for as long as I wanted to stay in the blind hunting. Worked out great and she is now a hunter away at college.

Reactions: LCH
I am wired to be single and by the grace of God married the one woman on the planet that doesn’t play mind games, says yes when she means no, and vice versa etc.
I hunt as much as I possibly can, she is supportive, enjoys coming sometimes, and I reciprocate by doing the things she likes to do, bite the bullet and drop a caribou hunt worth of money in bedroom furniture, when I think a cot would suffice etc.
Its a pretty good deal. Listening to this podcast is a good reminder of how good I have it.
This podcast is also a good reminder I need to go buy a mountain bike, because she wants to do more of that and the one I have is garbage.
An out of state tag worth of money on a mountain bike. Thanks Randy!!😉
Disclaimer: we don’t have kids. That’s probably a big disclaimer.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing with the women on the podcast... and I am not an expert at anything.... I am just questioning if hunting brings cheaper meat...?

I find that the cost of hunting an elk/deer is cheaper for food.... Let me explain.

We split a cow with my in-laws and sister-in-laws family after I had a bad year of hunting and didn't harvest anything. We purchased a 1/4 cow, sister-in-laws family did 1/4 cow, and Parent-in-laws did 1/2. We payed $450ish to the rancher for our weight of the 1/4 cow we purchased, and $250 for the processing fee. SO.... $700ish for a 1/4 cow....

1. Is a cow bigger than an elk?
2. Your not guaranteed an elk/deer. (I understand this)
3. I found two deer fill up the same amount in my freezer as a 1/4 cow.
4. Hunting deer in my state will rack me up to $100 for everything... licence/ammo/etc

Like I said I'm not an expert, especially in the beef market, and I've never hunted or harvested elk.

There are a lot of what if's in this scenario but I am going on my scenario that I came into the relationship with the gear so it is cheaper...?

Great podcast nevertheless with some quality info.

Last edited:
Well, once you have a gun and the necessary gear, you can kill 6 deer in my state for $45 plus the cost of processing unless you do it yourself. But I think the podcast was talking mostly about hunting all over the country as a NR.

Another thing that struck me was a comment one person made about their husband saying "The rut only happens once in a lifetime!" when trying to get out of a wedding. Perhaps the reason men feel the immediacy of hunting is that we know the window is closing on us. At some point we can't go hard anymore. For some of us, aging, illness, or injury will cut our hardcore hunting short by several decades. There are no guarantees. Of course, there are other priorities in life that have to be weighed against what really is a hobby at the end of the day.

I enjoyed the listen. Jennifer sounds very much like my wife. I’ve never fed her Ramen and chili though😁

There are some great points. My hunting has changed a lot over the years, from pre kids, to babies, young kids, and now teenagers and young adults. We will celebrate 25 years this fall.

I'm not disagreeing with the women on the podcast... and I am not an expert at anything.... I am just questioning if hunting brings cheaper meat...?

I find that the cost of hunting an elk/deer is cheaper for food.... Let me explain.

We split a cow with my in-laws and sister-in-laws family after I had a bad year of hunting and didn't harvest anything. We purchased a 1/4 cow, sister-in-laws family did 1/4 cow, and Parent-in-laws did 1/2. We payed $450ish to the rancher for our weight of the 1/4 cow we purchased, and $250 for the processing fee. SO.... $700ish for a 1/4 cow....

1. Is a cow bigger than an elk?
2. Your not guaranteed an elk/deer. (I understand this)
3. I found two deer fill up the same amount in my freezer as a 1/4 cow.
4. Hunting deer in my state will rack me up to $100 for everything... licence/ammo/etc

Like I said I'm not an expert, especially in the beef market, and I've never hunted or harvested elk.

There are a lot of what if's in this scenario but I am going on my scenario that I came into the relationship with the gear so it is cheaper...?

Cost of a nonresident elk tag in Co is more than the price of your cow and you have not even done anything yet

Cost of a nonresident elk tag in Co is more than the price of your cow and you have not even done anything yet

That was the price for a 1/4 cow as stated. Full cow $2050.00 If everyone else was charged the same processing fee then $2550.00

Check back at number 2.

The cost as a NR tag in my eyes... priceless :cool:

This reminded me to maybe send an extra thank you to my in-laws. Very similar situation and they gave us a pretty dang good deal on the beef. He cuts and wraps his own so we even saved processing. Skipped out on helping this year because they did in October. Then I listened to podcast and maybe I should pitch in next year. He also cuts some monster steaks which is pretty awesome.

I also wanted to say good podcast. It took me a couple days to get through the whole thing. The tunnel vision and being more considerate were spot on for me. I don't mean to be a jerk, it just comes naturally. Now I have some biological excuses while I am apologizing for something else.

That was the price for a 1/4 cow as stated. Full cow $2050.00 If everyone else was charged the same processing fee then $2550.00

Check back at number 2.

The cost as a NR tag in my eyes... priceless :cool:
Lol I'm not disagreeing the experience is priceless buttt I guess we can agree to disagree on actual cost

What a riot. I'm sitting here at my desk laughing away, listening to this. I decided to save the rest of this podcast for when I'm driving and need to stay awake.
Heck I may listen to it twice

YOU GUYS MAKE ME LOOK GOOD. :cool:

Last edited:
I told my wife about this. The last thing I thought she’d do is find it and listen to it.
I get home from work and she’s half way through it asking me when we’re going to Tahiti!?

I’m in the same boat MTGomer, My wife is already planning her Hawaii trip...

Loved it!
Just listened to whole thing laughing on the couch during a rain storm.
Disclaimer...I had a wise strong mom & 4 sisters. Some guys will never get it. I get it.
I had a great 20 yr relationship & it was late in both our lives. We remain friends.
She asks if I will be in Taos or Santa Fe in Oct. still....& laughs.

I guess I'm one of the spoiled ones. My wife grew up in a family of hunters and I was always fascinated with hunting. My wife encourages me to have my hobbies and understood when I would work extra to afford a dream hunt or a fishing trip that took me away from home for days on end. At the end of the day I work the majority of the year in order to afford a few weeks of enjoyment doing one of the hobbies I love. The bonus is when I come home with a successful fishing trip or hunting trip.

My wife has broken her neck training horses, was a fox huntress, has killed more elk and muleys than many men, and is my best friend.

The ladies brought up good points, but were more misandrist than than their husbands were misogonist. Randy treated the subject with kid gloves, which is to be respect and expected. Women forget they mainly operate on emotions, and hold the upper hand whw it comes to financial and familial security, and exhibited in this discussion.

It doesn't matter what we want, at the end of the day, they will get half (plus some) of everything we have earned an, d child support, along with getting to withhold our children from us by court order for any slight, even if it is their slight. Remember what one of the gals said, "I wanted to be a doctor, despite what the family needed, and we almost got divorced over it". Yeah, I want a Ferrari, because it was my dream, family be damned. I'm glad it worked out, but that usually isn't the case when we deal with unrealistic whims as family oriented adults. Know what would happen if I realized my dream of continuing on to be Delta, or and Aerospace engineer family be damned? lol

They know this, and it showed in this episode.

Last edited:
Back