Marriage 2.0

I think the mark of a good podcast has you analyzing your own life and idiosyncrasies. I know that I did on this podcast - and my wife and I did talk about it a bit and I knew she wasn't going to listen to the podcast - but it did churn up some good discussions.

I grew up in a family of all boys - and never once went hunting with Mom. The story was that Dad took her out early in their relationship and walked her legs off. So she never went again.

I didn't want that - so overcompensated WAY too much. My wife is a MT ranch gal - and the third time I asked her if she was cold / wet / hungry - she simply said she's a big girl and can take care of herself. So I don't worry about it anymore. The biggest thing though is that she really doesn't love hunting like I do - so we're selective in trips she wants to take. She has things she loves to do, and I'll do some of it too. We both like having other interests and getting back together to wrap-up / decompress.

Making a life together is always give and take - so yeah, I "miss" out on some hunting days like she "misses" out of things she wants to do. We hit priorities to keep each other sane. I'm getting both kids hooked on hunting - but also realize that they'll have other interests in time that I'll need to support. I still probably average 50 days in the field every year - only 1 or maybe 2 extended hunts (3 plus days).

I finally got to listen to this over the weekend on a road-trip from Bozeman to Colorado with my wife of 20 years. It spurred a lot of good discussion and we paused the playback several times of the course of 2.5+ hours. In the end we both learned a few things and it certainly helped us both understand where the other was coming from. KUDOS to Randy and the ladies fro doing this. Now the trick is getting non hunting wives to listen to 2.5 hour "hunting" podcast. It is pure gold and 100% free real good marital advice.

Sandbrew

I finally got to listen to this over the weekend on a road-trip from Bozeman to Colorado with my wife of 20 years. It spurred a lot of good discussion and we paused the playback several times of the course of 2.5+ hours. In the end we both learned a few things and it certainly helped us both understand where the other was coming from. KUDOS to Randy and the ladies fro doing this. Now the trick is getting non hunting wives to listen to 2.5 hour "hunting" podcast. It is pure gold and 100% free real good marital advice.

Sandbrew

It really is a great set of podcasts. It spurred some good discussion between myself, my wife, my hunting buddy, and his wife.

Over the weekend I gave a toast to my brother and his new bride at their luncheon and gave Randy's "seek peace, not justice" quote. Pure gold.

My wife and I listened to this on a recent road trip as well. We had some laughs at ourselves and our past behavior(s). She will be joining me on an archery elk hunt two weeks from today and I couldn’t me more excited to share this experience with her. It will be her first hunting experience with a bow and she has worked her butt off all summer, so hopefully we can see some action. And yes, she did get some new gear out of this deal vs some of my hand-me-downs...lol. Thanks to all involved in putting this gem together!

After a very, very short first marriage (married on the waterfowl opener, divorced on the last day of trapping season) I had decided single was better than a marriage to a non-hunter.

My current marriage (43 years) started on the bow season opener. Honeymoon was 5 days in a wall tent.

we have hunted grouse, waterfowl, elk and deer. Kids were born in winter to not interfer with hunting season. Every weekend was spent on horses or in wall tents with the entire family.

My daughter chose to hunt with me over a trip to Hawaii with mother. We all hunt together as we can even with the kids raising their own families.

We cut the meat on the kitchen table as a family. Dinner is usually elk in some form.

If hunting is important - it must be important to the family.

While I haven’t had a lot of luck getting my wife involved in hunting, it has helped getting the whole family involved in fishing. If my kids do it (whether soccer, art, or volunteering) I can be sure my wife and I are going to be there. So getting my kids into fishing has gotten my wife and I there with them. And it’s amazing seeing the whole thing fresh through their eyes - everything’s new and exciting and more fun. I hope as my kids get into hunting and pre-season scouting my wife will tag along and become more involved.

When you call home from an out of state big game hunt and ticket, and your wife has found an expensive 'bargain', saying no is not the hill to die on.
I think that's the epitome of Randy's saying "value peace over justice". Scares me if I get married because that would most likely happen on an african safari. I've been once and will be back several more times 🤣.

LOL my wife and I like our time alone. She has her lady things that she wants me to stay out of and I got things she want to stay out of like hunting so I take no offense in that. Key is to treat her like a queen and not a sex partner. She loves game meat but wants nothing to do with hunting or handling the carcass or meat when I do the butchering. I do set aside time for her on a regular basis and we do certain things together.

I told my wife about this. The last thing I thought she’d do is find it and listen to it.
I get home from work and she’s half way through it asking me when we’re going to Tahiti!?
Right after sheep season right?

IM just learning to use the podcast on here but as far as being married to a non hunter Tammy loves shooting a bow and guns but doesnt hunt
every year I take her on several beach trips one for a week and then a 4 day weekend also several long weekends to places she wants to go (one was camping to see the Pa elk heard)
and she never complains about my hunting I dont get out west every year but take time for Pa deer and bear
I think a balance is very important in the home

Wait are you concerned she getting a great deal while you're in Africa or you saying "no" and her going all Francis Macomber on your ass?
I'm concerned about how much the "deal of a lifetime" would be I know how much Africa costs. This is all hypothetical since in single but I wouldnt say no since I listened to both marital advice podcasts and saying no is the dumbest thing you can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back