Making it Harder to Buy Guns and Amno

Here some businesses charge the 3% for cc but the no charge for debit.

Serious question...

Do you get fees for debit transactions as well as credit transactions?

Asking because (as I mentioned earlier), our county charges per transaction regardless of type of card.

I imagine the code would be the same regardless of debit or credit transactions.
I don’t know the fee off the top of my head for debit. It’s less but not enough to matter. I prefer cash or check. But I run a business with high sales and low transactions. It might be different for a dollar store

Guys and gals this news is worse than the credit card code. Take a few minutes and look into the new UPS and FedEx policies. We are well on our way to being shut down. Post office will be next. I was going to ship a gun tomorrow to an FFL like I have many times before and now I can’t use UPS or FedEx. I am going to have to drive 3-4 hours to do it personally. This is bad. BAD!
Bullshot, I'm sorry to hear of your experience, but I agree that the UPS and FedEx changes are going to impact all of us. Less so for the highest volume gun/ammo shippers. I find it interesting (telling might be a better word?) that the politicos haven't made comment yet.

It might be an interesting exercise to visit a smaller FFL to inquire about how they have been impacted. Can they still make/receive smaller (single gun sales) shipments? Does it impact fees for the parties to the transaction?

Bullshot, I'm sorry to hear of your experience, but I agree that the UPS and FedEx changes are going to impact all of us. Less so for the highest volume gun/ammo shippers. I find it interesting (telling might be a better word?) that the politicos haven't made comment yet.

It might be an interesting exercise to visit a smaller FFL to inquire about how they have been impacted. Can they still make/receive smaller (single gun sales) shipments? Does it impact fees for the parties to the transaction?

A lot to digest there.

Ugh…credit cards suck a little bit of life out of you every time you swipe that damn thing! Just use cash and the government will only have the usual ways of tracking your firearm purchases.

Ugh…credit cards suck a little bit of life out of you every time you swipe that damn thing! Just use cash and the government will only have the usual ways of tracking your firearm purchases.
Obviously, cash doesn't work for online sellers. The real point of these efforts is control and your liberties and freedoms. One cut at a time.

Recently shipped a rifle to a Nevada FFL...UPS was a pain in the ass at the box store, finally had to take it to the terminal office. Had a HT'r ship me one from Montana that had to do the same thing. Shoot the survivor mentality.

Hassle the sheep & ignore the woofs.

Commentary for UPS changes...

Senator Hawley addresses Visa, Mastercard and American Express in letter...
We agree with each other that this cc tracking is un-American and violates the Constitutionally-provided liberties that we enjoy in this country. Hard line with Josh Hawley. That man is a seditionist turd who does not care about this country.

We agree with each other that this cc tracking is un-American and violates the Constitutionally-provided liberties that we enjoy in this country.
The credit card transaction tracking (and the new restrictive shipping requirement) changes were the focus of my comments and this thread. They infringe upon our liberties and freedoms.

The anti-gunners seem to work with those aligned with one specific political ideology, so I don't expect to see my objections addressed by those politicos. Sad, but real, so I'd argue that it serves me (and all of us) to be very pragmatic in approaching this situation.

Something about lemons and making lemonade...

We agree with each other that this cc tracking is un-American and violates the Constitutionally-provided liberties that we enjoy in this country. Hard line with Josh Hawley. That man is a seditionist turd who does not care about this country.
“We” don’t agree that having credit card codes set by private banks or private shippers refuse certain types of cargo are a violation of Constitutionally-provided liberties, since VISA, MasterCard, UPS and FedEx are not governmental entities, and the constitution only constrains governmental action. These 4 companies have the right to use their property and their right to contract however they wish. If you want to invest in a new credit card biz or shipping business with different rules you are free to do so.

I do not like these rules, but they are undoubtedly constitutional under any reading.

On the other hand, having the FBI track purchases without a specific warrant likely would raise some interesting 4thA questions, but the Patriot Act showed a pretty strong willingness to look the other way on that issue.

Last edited:
@VikingsGuy, touché. Private corporations may do as they wish. Maybe they will sell the collected info to retailers for targeted advertising as that market is hot right now. Yes, my point was unreasonable searches, 4th Amendment and perhaps we’ll revisit the broadly interpreted Patriot Act to narrow that down.

“We” don’t agree that having credit card codes set by private banks or private shippers refuse certain types of cargo are a violation of Constitutionally-provided liberties, since VISA, MasterCard, UPS and FedEx are not governmental entities, and the constitution only constrains governmental action. These 4 companies have the right to use their property and their right to contract however they wish. If you want to invest in a new credit card biz or shipping business with different rules you are free to do so.

I do not like these rules, but they are undoubtedly constitutional under any reading.

On the other hand, having the FBI track purchases without a specific warrant likely would raise some interesting 4thA questions, but the Patriot Act showed a pretty strong willingness to look the other way on that issue.
Is it constitutional for congress to pressure private companies to restrict certain constitutional rights?

With the SC recent ruling In Favor of 2nd, this may be the political reaction, hut the shipping and buying side

@VikingsGuy, touché. Private corporations may do as they wish. Maybe they will sell the collected info to retailers for targeted advertising as that market is hot right now. Yes, my point was unreasonable searches, 4th Amendment and perhaps we’ll revisit the broadly interpreted Patriot Act to narrow that down.
when corporations track, limit or prohibit something related to 2A, we say its their right as a private company? but if private companies were to restrict, oh say, what kinds of cakes they make? or what kind of medicines they carry, ship, or pay for, all of a sudden that is an infringement of rights.

A little consistency please?

(Not targeted at you ben, just saying acceptable restrictions from private companies always “seem” to be leaning to one side. )

Talked to one today. Some really bad stories.

UPS intensely restricting all sales of guns and parts. Fedex same. U watch, the post office is next. Who is left then???

Major retailers refusing shipment of guns, ammo, gun parts to “blue” states on “advice of counsel” despite no laws having changed.

Amazon - no guns or ammo there

Ebay - same

Paypal? Doesn’t allow gun stuff.

Some states now having to log ALL ammo sales with ID required, Lot #’s recorded

Major retailers suspending firearm sales

New Credit Card code for guns

States and municipalities deeming everything they can a “sensitive location” where concealed carry is prohibited.

New state and federal serial # rules for FFL’s to comply with

And on and on.

Guys/ gals there is more stuff happening behind the scenes and most ppl are asleep at the wheel and mostly unaware. Slippery slope indeed!

when corporations track, limit or prohibit something related to 2A, we say its their right as a private company? but if private companies were to restrict, oh say, what kinds of cakes they make? or what kind of medicines they carry, ship, or pay for, all of a sudden that is an infringement of rights.

A little consistency please?

(Not targeted at you ben, just saying acceptable restrictions from private companies always “seem” to be leaning to one side. )
It is frustrating but not inconsistent. Failure to bake a cake, by way of example, would not be a violation of the constitutional rights of the cake buyer, but rather a violation of federal or state "public accommodations" statutes. In the present case, the GOP in congress is trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to discriminate against firearms transactions by banks, cc, and shippers. If they pass it (not going to happen unless they get 60 in the senate and a president who would sign) it would not be the 2A at issue, but that statute.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back