Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Luck is holding...easy SD whitetail

T Bone

Killed my ram on Tuesday.

Got home today. Tonight I had the good fortune of an easy archery deer in my own back yard. He's my second whitetail and my best so far. Here's the story.

I sat on my back porch and watched 25 deer stage in the trees on the edge of my property for their nightly migration to the pastures. All does, fawns and dink bucks. Then, I saw mr big buck come sneaking down from the timber. I'd seen this buck last week for the 1st time. I was hoping he was still around. I let Jennifer know the big buck was coming and she grabbed her camera and took pictures from the back porch.

I guessed he'd cross through near my back fence.....I put on a camo shirt, just cuz bowhunters are supposed to wear camo. Grabbed the bow and ran to my ground blind (a group of trees). Not 30 seconds later I see the heads of the first does poking along my way.

Here he is poking along about 100 yards from our porch. It's not hi fenced hunt..... The fence is to keep the deer safe from our 4 kids.
PA050410.JPG

The deer cross too close in front of me, about 5 yards away. I am a shrub ninja. With a bald head. They don't spook. Big buck crosses, he doesn't spook. I wait until he passes by and at 10 yards start to draw. He spooks. He trots 30 yards and stops broadside to look at the bald shrub. I'm at full draw, pin him at 40 yards at touch off a Thunderhead. Smack! He runs about 50 yards, gets rubber legs and crashes. Holy smokes!

Out come the kids and wife to help with the trailing job and drag. What fun. What luck.
PA050413.JPG

Another angle.
PA050415.JPG

With a tracking posse like this, no deer is getting away.
PA050419.JPG

And a picture with the lovely photographer.
PA050418.JPG

I'll take an easy one occasionally....Tomorrow I take the 2 oldest boys antelope hunting. If the luck holds, the speed goats better take cover.

Wow, congrats! Doesn't get much easier than that. Nice looking buck.

Thats great man! After all that hard work sheep hunting I think you deserve an easy one. Where's the flip flops? I would have thought hunting from the porch would have involved you in your underwear and at least a pair of slippers. :D

You are going to start attaining Idol status if your not careful! A Great family, Great hunts...here's waving the Big One at Ya! Now go get some Goats with the boys!!! John:D

Thats awesome Tyson! Great family pictures....serves that buck right for interrupting your dinner ;) You're gonna have to tie one like that up for me if I come out to the nephews wedding in Piedmont next fall!

Looks like it was dusk enough that you didn't have to camo the dome on that shrub LOL

What the @#&*@# No Flip flops ? I thought on the phone last night you said you were wearing flip flops ?!?!?!?!? :(

Thats not Fair chase if you use Kentucky blue grass to bait um' ;)

After the work you put in on your sheep your do for an easy one. Congrat's. Hopefully you have the best hunt of the year with your boys.

schelmster

holy crap that's too funny. If you hadn't just gone through what you did on your sheep hunt I'd call ya a woosy... but Tbone ya deserve this easy one after that ordeal.

Nice shot and congrats. Great that you got the whole family involved.

man I wish I had that backyard view... All I got is desert and rattlesnakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back