Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Louisiana night trout/ Wyoming Trout

Bukwild3

Louisiana trout are great but wondering about catching trout in October if I am fortunate enough to get a tag and fill it in Wyoming for antelope. I will be around Douglas if we draw. Are there any well know spots that I might be able to notch a few species off the list without asking for the secret spots?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1465742523268.jpg
    FB_IMG_1465742523268.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 335
I would hit the North Platte for a River to fish, Reservoirs Pathfinder, Seminoe, Alcova, Wheatland 3.

October is ridiculously good fishing in Wyoming.

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

I would hit the North Platte for a River to fish, Reservoirs Pathfinder, Seminoe, Alcova, Wheatland 3.

October is ridiculously good fishing in Wyoming

I agree, October is an outstanding month to fish Wyoming. Lake Meeboer is a great option too, fish a leech/wooly bugger pattern. Fishing the North Platte in October is like hunting deer. The water is low and clear and you end up doing a lot of sight fishing. There are some incredible brown trout in that river, and seeing them defending their spawn beds is a lot of fun. Glad to hear Wheatland #3 has fish again. It was a winterkill waiting to happen when we lived there.

I would use marabou jigs and spoons before I'd use bait.

If you follow JLS recommendations to fish Meeboer, make sure to bring a clothespin for your nose if you are shore/wade fishing. Smelliest shore and lake bottom in all of Wyoming!

(And for us the fish tasted about what the lake smelled)!

I snap jigs pretty aggressively...trout will swim UP to a jig more readily than swim DOWN to them, in my experience.

JLS, wheatland 3 is really coming back...I messed up big time not fishing it last winter. Wont make that mistake again. Having another good water year, so I would expect things to just keep getting better.

Panther martin spinners work really well. All of the small streams will have good trout also. Look for some small access points along the streams and have fun.DSCN0152.jpgDSCN0284.jpg These browns and brook trout came out of Sybille Creek, it has some public access along Highway 34.

Back