Lots of Wild Game Cooking!

Gellar

I have been doing some serious cooking this week but I did not take any pictures!

We have some turkey left over that needs to be eaten before new turkey seasons start in a month so I started with MeatEaters copycat Chick Fil A nuggets. https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/copycat-chik-fil-a-turkey-nuggets-recipe I was hesitant with the marinating in pickle juice, but still went with it. These nuggets were good, but I will use my go to breading mix still which is 1/2 flour, 1/2 shorelunch seasoned with garlic salt, cayene pepper, and black pepper. I have never had Chick Fil A so I cant give an honest comparison between the two!

Last night was Hank Shaw's Portugese Braised shanks. I used elk shanks. https://honest-food.net/rainy-days-and-braised-shanks/ My mom was over helping watch the kids since my wife is out of town. She is a very picky eater to say the least. She was hesitant at first, but there was nothing left on her plate at the end. I served it over mashed potatoes. I think it could have been better, the recipe calls for 4 oz of bacon. who in their right mind does not have bacon in the refrigerator 24/7? Well, I did not have any bacon so I had to leave it out. I also could not find a dried pepper at the store, I thought I would just buy a fresh one and dry it, but since we live in the sticks our store did not have any fresh peppers other than green bell peppers. I substituted crushed red pepper and it was good.

Tonight, we are putting @SaskHunter's seafood boil to the test! https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/we-brought-the-bayou-to-saskatchewan.305753/ Some things I will be doing differently. I will be adding andouille sausage, I will be adding 12 oz of an amber beer to the boiling pot, and once again since we live in the sticks we wont be having clams or oysters. We will be having shrimp and crawfish.

There's a little shop in NE that does pickle crispy chicken...marinate in pickle juice and sneak pickle juice in the batter. Game Changer!

EDIT: For those interested it's called Dirty Birds in The Switch Beer & Food Hall in Omaha, NE. Yes it's a super hipster/trendy BS spot but hey fat guys gotta get their grub

Last edited:
Tonight, we are putting @SaskHunter's seafood boil to the test! https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/we-brought-the-bayou-to-saskatchewan.305753/ Some things I will be doing differently. I will be adding andouille sausage, I will be adding 12 oz of an amber beer to the boiling pot, and once again since we live in the sticks we wont be having clams or oysters. We will be having shrimp and crawfish.

Yo, get your camera out, we want to see!

I'm excited for our next boil, we'll change a few things next time though! Life is short, buy that expensive seafood!!!

Yo, get your camera out, we want to see!

I'm excited for our next boil, we'll change a few things next time though! Life is short, buy that expensive seafood!!!
I would have been more then happy to buy it. We have a fish market about 5 miles from us, but all they have is river fish like catfish, carp, sturgeon etc, all locally caught. Our grocery store is 1/2 hour away and if you are lucky they may have 2 different sizes of shrimp and frozen cod filets. the crawfish I caught myself last summer.

That shank recipe looks good. I think we’ll give it a whirl tomorrow.

I would have been more then happy to buy it. We have a fish market about 5 miles from us, but all they have is river fish like catfish, carp, sturgeon etc, all locally caught. Our grocery store is 1/2 hour away and if you are lucky they may have 2 different sizes of shrimp and frozen cod filets. the crawfish I caught myself last summer.

That sucks... Surprisingly, we have several local stores that sell good quality frozen and fresh-ish (big ish) seafood within 30-45 min of the house.

Good stuff. WE all run out of bacon, but we should all be saving and using bacon grease. I am never out of that and drop some in when I want bacon flavor in something and have no bacon....
I do save bacon grease! I never thought of putting a bit in. Next time!

Just put some pheasant curry in the Dutch Oven, the stuff for shanks is ready for tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back