We brought the Bayou to Saskatchewan

Sasquatchewan

My wife and I decided to bring the low country boil to our prairie home. We were inspired that same day when we took the kids to town to go get frozen yogurts (I know, pretty wild eh?). Accross the street was a small seafood market that made us miss the fresh seafood of the east coast so we figured we'd go in. With a bag full of oysters, crawfish, clams, tiger shrimps and a steep bill, we settled on what we were going to make and grabbed the missing ingredients on our way home.

20210307_083718.jpg

In a large pot, incorporate water, tons of spices, bay leaves, hot sauce and salt to taste, halfed lemons and garlic, then bring to a boil.

Drop small potatoes in the mix and boil for 10 minutes. In the meantime prepare biscuit dough.

Drop in crawfish and tiger shrimps in, cook for 10 minutes. Throw biscuits in the oven midway through this boil.

Turn off the heat, add corn and clams for one last 10 minute cook. Prepare garlic butter to brush on the biscuits and to dip your delicious tiger shrimps in.

Finally, shuck oysters with a small flat-head screwdriver because you've been living in the prairies too long and there is no such thing as "fresh oysters", and have lost your actual shucking knife. Serve oysters on the over abundant snow that is outside your house.

We didn't add sausage, I forgot to take out bear sausage to thaw when we got home, that would've definitely been better.

Finally drain the boil, drop that bucket full of delicious critters on the table and watch your children's reaction!

The wife enjoyed her boil with a virgin sparkling water and I, with a gin and sparkling water. No Lacroix for this guy, I'm more of a Bubly guy.

Now that looks pretty damn good partner! I've always wanted to go to a real southern boil..... at least that's what I think I want to do.....

How is the seafood quality in Saskatchewan? Only reason I ask is sometimes its a challenge in Montana.
Many folks here won't eat seafood or know good from bad.

They had live crawfish? That must have been expensive. Tails are tucked perfectly so they must have been kept well.

How is the seafood quality in Saskatchewan? Only reason I ask is sometimes its a challenge in Montana.
It's hit or miss, most of what we get is frozen and it's stupid expensive. But sometimes you got to fork out the dolla bills to eat like a king!

Finding decent looking corn this time of year was a bitch though.

Looks awesome! Nicely done. Just yesterday I was telling a buddy it feels like it's about time for a lowcountry boil. Good food and great times.

There's a couple good spots in billings to get quality seafood, it isn't Seattle, or Monterey Bay or Louisiana but it's not half bad.

Seafood of the world
Billings seafood guys
Poly IGA
and I thinking there's one by Shiptons big time west

Awesome winter treat.

We usually do a boil every summer here is Ontario. Turned into a mid summer tradition with my east coast friends.

Sure is an awesome treat for the kids too.

There's a couple good spots in billings to get quality seafood, it isn't Seattle, or Monterey Bay or Louisiana but it's not half bad.

Seafood of the world
Billings seafood guys
Poly IGA
and I thinking there's one by Shiptons big time west
Making me want to make a trip to billings

They had live crawfish? That must have been expensive. Tails are tucked perfectly so they must have been kept well.
It’s a big thing in Colorado to fly in caterers from LA with all the food + tables, etc.

I say big because I’ve been to probably 8 company sponsored boils so far between my work or my wife’s.

Our favorite seafood place threw in the towel so now we resort to the Bozeman Costco. We made seared tuna on Valentines Day which is tough to beat, but mostly we do wild salmon, mussels.
Once a year we splurge on crab legs /oysters.

My wife and I decided to bring the low country boil to our prairie home. We were inspired that same day when we took the kids to town to go get frozen yogurts (I know, pretty wild eh?). Accross the street was a small seafood market that made us miss the fresh seafood of the east coast so we figured we'd go in. With a bag full of oysters, crawfish, clams, tiger shrimps and a steep bill, we settled on what we were going to make and grabbed the missing ingredients on our way home.

View attachment 176484

In a large pot, incorporate water, tons of spices, bay leaves, hot sauce and salt to taste, halfed lemons and garlic, then bring to a boil.

Drop small potatoes in the mix and boil for 10 minutes. In the meantime prepare biscuit dough.

Drop in crawfish and tiger shrimps in, cook for 10 minutes. Throw biscuits in the oven midway through this boil.

Turn off the heat, add corn and clams for one last 10 minute cook. Prepare garlic butter to brush on the biscuits and to dip your delicious tiger shrimps in.

Finally, shuck oysters with a small flat-head screwdriver because you've been living in the prairies too long and there is no such thing as "fresh oysters", and have lost your actual shucking knife. Serve oysters on the over abundant snow that is outside your house.

We didn't add sausage, I forgot to take out bear sausage to thaw when we got home, that would've definitely been better.

Finally drain the boil, drop that bucket full of delicious critters on the table and watch your children's reaction!

The wife enjoyed her boil with a virgin sparkling water and I, with a gin and sparkling water. No Lacroix for this guy, I'm more of a Bubly guy.

Next time, get some smoked sausage links, and cut into two inch pieces and throw those into the pot. If you want the potatoes to have more spice, cut them in half before putting them into the pot. AND, refrigerate any leftover potatoes to make potato salad the next day. Check online for Zatarain's concentrated liquid seafood boil. It contains everything needed for seasoning. Just add salt and water.
A small 4 oz. bottle would be plenty to boil what you have in the picture. It costs about $3.00 here locally, but no idea what you would pay to have it shipped to you.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back