Lost one of my mules this week...:(

JFoster

Just a little tribute to "Frank" the mule. He has been a part of our family for 10 years and the finest, most gentle boy on the mountain. I've put the most inexperienced of kids and riders on him and packed every big game animal in the west on his back. He was first to the gate for a "hug" and a treat and not one time did he ever have a problem.
Man, is it ever hard to find a good one like Frank. He was 21 years old with many mule years left to go.

I found him stretched out in pain in the pasture and immediately called in the vet. Turns out he had an internal tumor that wrapped around his colon and choked it off. Probably been coming on for a few years, but mules rarely show symptoms of a problem until it's late in the game. Tough animals, but I sure wish I'd known a long time ago that he was having an issue...
Rest easy Frankie! We'll miss you in camp this year in a big way..

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    989.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image1.png
    image1.png
    842.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    736.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image3.png
    image3.png
    480 KB · Views: 24
  • image4.png
    image4.png
    721.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image5.png
    image5.png
    659.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2517.PNG
    IMG_2517.PNG
    4.6 MB · Views: 24
We have had to put a few horses down over the years. My wife and I are thinking of you and your family.

Thoughts are with you. I think we all are looking for a "Frank" and when we find one they are gone too soon.

I know the feeling !! I’ve had horses that were like him, take you all over the mountains in any terrain safely and get you back to the trailer to ride another day. A good horse/mule is a good friend no doubt.

Please accept my condolences. I just got home from a nice ride on a good horse. It is so tough to say good bye, especially with so little warning.

He left you with special memories, you won't forget him.

Sorry for your loss of what was a great partner for you.
plenty of great memories I’m sure.
pay tribute to him next time you’re on his favorite mountain

Sorry to hear - good ones can’t be replaced. I have to put one down tomorrow and ain’t looking forward to it.

God loves His creatures great and small! I have hope that Frank is grazing peacefully in a mountain pasture and his work is done, and his reward is complete for being a faithful pack/riding animal. Really sorry for your loss

Any riding mule is worth its weight in gold. Sounds like Frank was exceptional. He will be hard to replace. Sorry for your loss.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back