Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Lost my buddy this morning.

You are fortunate she found you and you shared those great years. Be glad you have your memories and your pictures. Sorry you have lost her.

14 years ago my Grandad found a scrawny, starving, 6 week old puppy in the brush pile beside his house. When we came for a visit the next week, my son (8 years old at the time) fell in love with her. My Grandad looked me in the eye and said matter-of-factly, "A boy oughta have a dog." We brought her home with us.

Best damn dog I could have ever imagined. Obedient. Loving. Forgiving. Fun. My son spent so many days exploring the woods with her by his side. She was such a huge part of our family. Went everywhere with us. Was my hiking buddy, helping me every year get in shape for elk season.

She died this morning as soon as my wife and I came downstairs. Feeling blessed that she lived a good life and was happy and healthy for her age right up to the very end. This was a tough one. Loved that dog.

Mystic
View attachment 178095

View attachment 178096

View attachment 178097

View attachment 178098
I have felt your pain, so sorry for that big lost feeling. Cherish memories.

You all were lucky to have each other.. A good dog is truly a blessing.. I'm sorry that it was her time but I rejoice that you had each others love to share. It's the hard part knowing we'll generally outlive something we love so much yet we are better off for having loved them and been loved by them.. Your grampa was right..

It'll make a grown man cry.(Speaking from experience.)
Had to put down my 11 year old lab Sport last spring. He retrieved 100's of ducks for me in his life.

The good ones always leave us too soon even if they are advanced in age. Never seems fair to lose a good dog. Prayers to you and your family tonight over the loss of a family member.

Ugh. Sorry to read of your dog's passing. :(
The vast majority of us - who's opened our family, our hearts to match a fraction of the love our dogs give and gave us are right there with you.

Great memories last forever.

This quote comforted me when I lost a furry buddy:

“Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them are wrong”.

Peace be with you

Man I am sorry! Makes me tear up just thinking about someday losing my Daisey. Something about man's best friend that we just can't explain. Your grandpa was right!

Very moving and well written post. I can tell you feel the same way about your dog as my family does about ours. I’m sorry for your loss.

Back