Caribou Gear

Looking for public land pronghorn in MT

Hunter/nh2mt

I moved to MT(Kalispell) two years ago and have never hunted pronghorn before. Looking for advice as to which unit I should apply for. Would only be able to hunt for a weekend or two knowing that I will have to travel at least a few hours to get into pronghorn country. Looking for somewhere that as good public land areas to some good pronghorn hunting. Looking more for opportunity instead of trophy. My wife hunts as well(we will both be applying). We are not afraid of getting away from the truck(prefer it that way) but if my wife is hunting with me we will most likely have our three year old with us so we have to keep that in mind. I love to do it with my bow but want the option of using firearm. Looks like region 5 has units with really good draw odds but not sure of public land access to good areas to hunt pronghorn but willing to hunt anywhere. Looking for opinions and advice.

I am pretty sure a guy could draw just about any tag east of the crazies and have plenty of places to hunt and plenty of opportunity. Last year we hunted a region 5 zone, tagged out with multiple tags on opening day with no scouting going in completely blind. Pick a zone that has decent odds of drawing and get a gps or map and don't forget block management.

I think you if you applied to anything ease of the Front you would do fine when you draw. They aren't hard to find. Access is an issue sometimes, but my first goat was out there and I spent way more time than I needed scouting. I was just excited. So I'd pick a unit you know you can drive to and just put in for it.

the 400 districts have lower draw odds, but most farmers are willing to let you on for pronghorn, and there is lots of public ground as well. since you are in Kalispell that would shorten your drive time too. send me a PM if you decide to apply around the Conrad/ Brady area, I might be able to help out.
Tanner

the 400 districts have lower draw odds, but most farmers are willing to let you on for pronghorn, and there is lots of public ground as well. since you are in Kalispell that would shorten your drive time too. send me a PM if you decide to apply around the Conrad/ Brady area, I might be able to help out.
Tanner

Lots of block management in R 4 as well that's great for pronghorn. Tougher to draw R 4 though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back