Looking for info on Unit 62

Debbie Cadene

Hi. I'm new to this forum and was wondering if I might run a couple of questions past a few of ya's.
First off, we live in Atikokan Ontario and have hunted in Wyoming a few times for Antelope, in unit 42 and camped in Rock River.. My husband and I looked forward to our trip each year as it brought us on new adventures each time. This year we were able to draw Unit 62, but have not had the luxury of exploring it so far. The last time we were out that way was in 2007 so are anxiously awaiting this trip.
We plan on bringing our camper again this year, but aside from camping in the Seminoe State Park, we were wondering if anyone had other suggestions as to places on public land where folks can park for a few days during the hunting week. I want to make sure that is even allowed with no issues. Also wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some better areas to hunt.. I think we are focusing on the North part of the unit, so there are less worries about private land, but any opinions you wish to share are greatly appreciated.

Thanks bunches!!

I'm not sure John. The unit is north of Rawlins....and just below the Ferris Mountains, but I don't know if it is the Red Desert .

It appears the way for newbs to avoid smartassed condescending remarks on info requests is to have your wife ask for you. I expect if Mr. Cadene ever joins up the welcoming committee will give him an extra hard time ;)

SMARANDR,

It also helps when they show up at the initiation chamber with their own live chicken, a change of clothes and a case of beer.

Although I do not have my own personal live chicken to bring to the initiation chamber, I do have a change of clothes and a case of beer. (would a bbq chicken work??) I do hunt though, so the questions are sadly my own.... his probably would have been more detailed and he would have known if the area in question was the Red Desert.:D

It appears the way for newbs to avoid smartassed condescending remarks on info requests is to have your wife ask for you. I expect if Mr. Cadene ever joins up the welcoming committee will give him an extra hard time ;)

Mrs. Cadene is obviously a match for the initiation crew.

Last year I along with several other hunt talkers hunted across the river in 48. Camped down on the river North of the dam. Follow Semionoe Rd over toward Kortez rd. Quite a few fisherman and other hunters were in there but we were able to get a spot. Camp sites on both side of the river down there. Top notch trout fishing as well. We stayed there until we got our deer and then just moved to a RV park in Rawlins while we finished up hunting antelope. RV park we stayed in was really clean and quiet.
www.westernhillscampground.com

Meat processor is on the east side of Rawlins a couple miles. Seems like they only charge $75 for antelope if you pay cash.

Do some research on the WYGFD website on the walk in areas, and other public access programs. Most of the areas we applied for access to were awarded for Antelope hunting.

Look for this tab at http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1000045.aspx

Hunter Management Area Permission Slip
Hunter Management Area Information
Walk-in Hunting Area Information
Hunter Assistance Program

Last edited:
wyo 556, now that you mention it we stayed at that campground in 2003 I think. One night on our way through and I think it WAS nice. Our heater broke and we were cold, but the facility was good.

Mrs. Cadene thanks for being a good sport. Apparently Canadians not only have good manners but good sense of humor as well. if I had some good intell for you I'd send a pm so the Californians trolling for internet scouting info wouldn't be in your back pocket.

You got some good info there to sort through. but don't drink alll our beer and leave...be sure to share your trip...

You folks are great, I like this place already!! . I realize when asking any sort of questions, that I open my self up to multitudes of answers and take what I can from each. While working underground for 181/2 years, my sense of humor beefed itself up ten fold, so holding my own is no problem. Just wondering what the 220 generator might be for.......should I be worried????:D
I came across that camp site yesterday and have it added to goodie bag. Also printed off the walk in maps and will be getting one of those chips for the GPS along with a couple more BLM maps. We plan on working hard for our animals and although I don't wish to say that I am in any sort of competition with my husband, I DO wish to tag a buck bigger then his!!!
You mentioned the meat processor...would you happen to have a name or number for them?
Also in the regs, it says ONE piece of hunter orange....what do most folks choose..hat or vest or both? and can it be mesh or camo orange? On this side, we have to have solid hat and solid vest and it can't be camo orange, or mesh material. How the heck do they expect ya to hide when you look like a flippin pumpkin??

And no worries about bagging an animal and leaving with out a story and pictures...sharing can sometimes be the best part of the hunt.

Oh yeah, besides generally having a good sense of humor, we also have really good beer! I'm not sure if I can post pictures yet, but I'll post a picture of our other goats when I get a chance.

A couple of pictures of our critters.
Our bucks from 2005
reneant05-31.jpg

debant05-1.jpg

and our bucks from 2007 with cross bow
Wyomingantelopehunt11-07010.jpg

Wyomingantelopehunt11-07016.jpg

The cross bow buck wasn't as big as the rifle, but getting up that close to him was such a heart beating rush.

Historically, most of my pictures have proven that I apparantly need work in the smiling part of a photo shoot!! :)

You folks are great, I like this place already!! . I realize when asking any sort of questions, that I open my self up to multitudes of answers and take what I can from each. While working underground for 181/2 years, my sense of humor beefed itself up ten fold, so holding my own is no problem. Just wondering what the 220 generator might be for.......should I be worried????:D
I came across that camp site yesterday and have it added to goodie bag. Also printed off the walk in maps and will be getting one of those chips for the GPS along with a couple more BLM maps. We plan on working hard for our animals and although I don't wish to say that I am in any sort of competition with my husband, I DO wish to tag a buck bigger then his!!!
You mentioned the meat processor...would you happen to have a name or number for them?
Also in the regs, it says ONE piece of hunter orange....what do most folks choose..hat or vest or both? and can it be mesh or camo orange? On this side, we have to have solid hat and solid vest and it can't be camo orange, or mesh material. How the heck do they expect ya to hide when you look like a flippin pumpkin??

And no worries about bagging an animal and leaving with out a story and pictures...sharing can sometimes be the best part of the hunt.

Oh yeah, besides generally having a good sense of humor, we also have really good beer! I'm not sure if I can post pictures yet, but I'll post a picture of our other goats when I get a chance.
Did someone say BEER....:D :cool:

Back