Long Range Hunting

Anything beyond someone else’s capabilities on the internet. 🔥🔥
Image result for nailed it gif

When you got a turn key operation like that who needs to practice. So easy a 9 year old can do it.

While I do have a respect for long range shooters and gun nuts that wanna dial in their perfect 338lapua load right to the knats ass. It's not a preferred hunting method to me atleast. The sense of enjoyment and thrill of getting in and setting up on a shot goes right out the window when all you gotta do is take it up 37 clicks and account for 2 minutes of wind.

Like I said I do respect long range shooting because it is an art just not high on the "send it" program on a 1367 yard antelope. Everyone has their own cup of tea though.

If I'm going to kill it I want it to be as merciful and quick as possible. The closer the animal the greater the chance of a good hit, the farther the animal is, the variables add up and this lowers the chance for a quick kill.

I've done enough, just for fun, long-range shooting to know few if anybody can calculate all the variables and has the personal skill to be that steady. Those in the know realize bullet drop isn't a simple up and down equation. And the farther it flies the variables multiply.

In my opinion, bragging rights should be if an animal collapses in a pile takes a few breaths and dies. Not how lucky you were to kill one at ridiculous distances.

I’m old enough to have been hunting for about a decade when the Oregon bow hunters association lobbied successfully for legislation forcing hunters to declare their weapon for the season, you could no longer hunt bow season and then move to rifle.
What followed were bans on hounds and baiting for bears and cats, near elimination of OTC tags and virtual open war fare on ranchers who simply ask for a few tags, 6 tags for 10,000 acres.
Regardless the merits of any of these adjustments to just being able to go hunt, it required hunters to be pitted against hunters to get many of the restrictions in place.
What concerns me most about these discussions is the petty bickering that occurs. Our enemies pay attention and use the information against us, trophy hunting is a prime example.
I think this is a great subject for civil discourse, like everyone else I have my opinion, but I’ll wager right now we will be hearing more about LRH from the anti hunters.
It’s easy to piss people off when you don’t think about how you write a response, hell I did it just the other day, certainly not my intent.
Personally I think any time you need a range finder to calculate the shot you’re probably talking long range. But I’d been hunting very successfully for years and provided sniper over-watch For two presidents before I’d ever seen one. Simple perspective.
Just don’t want to see us helping with the death by a thousand cuts.
Have fun.

Is it even long range hunting if you don’t make sure everyone knows how far you shot

I am more impressed with guys who have the skills to be accurate at further ranges than myself, but don’t feel the need for affirmation by telling everyone how far the shot was.

BTW, that doe in my avatar was long range for me, but I am too chill to mention numbers.😎

Last edited:
I’m old enough to have been hunting for about a decade when the Oregon bow hunters association lobbied successfully for legislation forcing hunters to declare their weapon for the season, you could no longer hunt bow season and then move to rifle.
What followed were bans on hounds and baiting for bears and cats, near elimination of OTC tags and virtual open war fare on ranchers who simply ask for a few tags, 6 tags for 10,000 acres.
Regardless the merits of any of these adjustments to just being able to go hunt, it required hunters to be pitted against hunters to get many of the restrictions in place.
What concerns me most about these discussions is the petty bickering that occurs. Our enemies pay attention and use the information against us, trophy hunting is a prime example.
I think this is a great subject for civil discourse, like everyone else I have my opinion, but I’ll wager right now we will be hearing more about LRH from the anti hunters.
It’s easy to piss people off when you don’t think about how you write a response, hell I did it just the other day, certainly not my intent.
Personally I think any time you need a range finder to calculate the shot you’re probably talking long range. But I’d been hunting very successfully for years and provided sniper over-watch For two presidents before I’d ever seen one. Simple perspective.
Just don’t want to see us helping with the death by a thousand cuts.
Have fun.
The left minded are seeking a utopia and they are among us. Many don't value american freedom and we are certain to loose many freedoms so they can build this utopia. Don't Tread on me.

Personally I think any time you need a range finder to calculate the shot you’re probably talking long range.

That works for me as a reasonable definition.

When I was young and dumb, I shot and killed a couple of animals at the edge of long range shooting,,because,, to prove I could. I also lost a deer that I shot the front leg off at the elbow. I was not very proud of myself trying to get that deer killed as it ran off on three legs. It managed to get across a property line to die who know when.

Since that day, I have not taken a shot at a big game animal, unless I'm pretty certain, I'll make a good hit.

I do not think the showing on tv or the internet 800- 1000 yard shots at big game animals puts hunters in a very good light.

Is it even long range hunting if you don’t make sure everyone knows how far you shot

I am more impressed with guys who have the skills to be accurate at further ranges than myself, but don’t feel the need for affirmation by telling everyone how far the shot was.

BTW, that doe in my avatar was long range for me, but I am too chill to mention numbers.😎

On the subject of "Capable vs. Ethical", self-restraint, etc.- I ran across a video today. Young adult bowhunter has "been watching this deer for 3 years", and decides to shoot him at 72 yards with his slider pin. The end result is in the video linked below, starts with the first shot. Comments are disabled, and I'm not sure I want to give him the views, but here it is anyways.

THIS is why self-restraint is so important- I don't care how good you are on foam, because foam doesn't move. When you are hunting animals that react to their environment, you have to factor their ability to move into your maximum range you're willing to shoot. This deer was in the second-most perfect situation to shoot (bedded is probably better), but it still had time to hear the shot, and wheel enough to take the first arrow just in front of the hindquarter, right in the guts. It just takes too long for arrows to get to the target at those ranges to be ethical.

Overall, this deer took 3 arrows to die, none of which penetrated much at all. Disrespectful, to say the least, stupidly arrogant if I'm speaking freely. It could have just as easily been coyote bait as a trophy on his wall. If you wanna stroke your ego, stick to poking foam. If you want to wanna hunt, then learn to hunt, and be mature enough to know your limitations (or in this case, the limitations of your methods, and the difference between the two).

"Dead from the first arrow", he says. I say, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back