Long Range Hunting

There are moments when the idea of banning scopes and fancy doodads appeals to me. Then I think there would probably be a lot of elk and deer with lead balls in their ass.

lots of people are jealous and haters and look for reason to not value what others legally do. I had a guy tell me once that pheasant hunting with a dog is not hunting!
I had a guy tell me the same thing about hunting cats too...... the guy was wearing pointy shoes so I didn't hold much stock in him.

I think far more would be ass shot by open sights PRB, at least until people got frustrated and gave it up.

Don't be ridiculous. You know your limitations with your high tech stuff? Well, you learn your limitation with a PRB the same way you did with your Manbun/whatever. Why get frustrated? You would be having WAY too much fun to give up.

Relax. Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to be a comprehensive take on a hypothetical (and extremely improbable) change of regulations. I would like to see more restrictions on tech in the field, and I finished making a .54 cap lock this winter that I intend to hunt with regardless of who's out there with a win mag and 20x scope.

The question is would you give up your technology for that? All those 7-08s, and 6.5 MBs and night scopes and all that crap?

I would in a heart beat.

Why not just go all in and say traditional bow and wood arrows with slate broadheads?

There are a lot of cool hunts in many states nation wide with limited weapons use, bow, muzzle loader, etc. More opportunity/options is better for hunting not less.

Personally I like all types of hunting, I like options, I’ve shot em really close with a recurve, and really far with everything up to a 28 nos.

It’s actually funny how much this subject is talked about, in all the many, many big game animals I’ve ever hunted Or been apart of hunting and killing, the number of times we couldn’t get inside 300 yards is very few.

Me and my kids shoot out to 1k and sometimes beyond, but rarely at animals because it’s just not necessary.

Usually...

Why not just go all in and say traditional bow and wood arrows with slate broadheads?

There are a lot of cool hunts in many states nation wide with limited weapons use, bow, muzzle loader, etc. More opportunity/options is better for hunting not less.

More hunting opportunity is better, period. At least in my opinion. More options means less hunting. Few days, fewer tags, just less. "rarely" at animals at 1000? So, how many have you connected with at that range? If it's not necessary, why? It's hunting. Sometimes when that 1000 yds is "necessary" at least some of us would rather go home empty handed to hunt another day. There is no "necessary".

More hunting opportunity is better, period. At least in my opinion. More options means less hunting. Few days, fewer tags, just less. "rarely" at animals at 1000? So, how many have you connected with at that range? If it's not necessary, why? It's hunting. Sometimes when that 1000 yds is "necessary" at least some of us would rather go home empty handed to hunt another day. There is no "necessary".

Never wounded a animal with a rifle. At any range...

I’ve wounded 2 that were never recovered with a bow, a pope and young antelope @ 36 and a turkey @ 12 yards.. Witnessed a handful of bulls get arrowed that were never recovered as well. Bow hunting seems less ethical than long range hunting from what I’ve witnessed...

But as I said, we don’t go out looking to shoot things far away.

Last edited:

8:17 for the shot, 1376 yard shot on an elk. Kid can't be more than 14 years old too. Can't wait to see what some have to say about that!

Sorry I read page one then came straight to page 10, looks like I guessed correctly how this 'off season' thread (for you not for me;)) would go.

What is considered to be a 'long range shot'?
Just wondering;)

Cheers

Richard

Sorry I read page one then came straight to page 10, looks like I guessed correctly how this 'off season' thread (for you not for me;)) would go.

What is considered to be a 'long range shot'?
Just wondering;)

Cheers

Richard
Varies by person, some would say over 300, some over 500, some over 700, etc. that is part of what makes these discussions “interesting” in the British sense of the word ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back