Long Range Hunting

giphy.gif

Not sure what you meant. My point wasn't to take a side either way. I just found the interesting.

Your example was a good one...comparing partitions, similar velocity and how little difference there really is once you get in that .4 BC, 2700-3000 FPS, area...bullet weight doesn't mean a whole lot.

Which was exactly the point made by one poster in regard to the .338, that a .243 was inferior based just on bullet weight.

Wind is a huge factor...and I don't give a chit what caliber someone is shooting.

Outside of knowing when to, and not to, probably THE toughest part of pulling the trigger, even at moderate ranges.

Sure is funny how the dead horse threads continuously reach 8 to 10 pages of comments.

@brockel you have made an extremely valid point. To each his own, everyone has their way of hunting some sit over barrels, some sit over a feeder or food plot, some traditional archery or hunt with hand guns, some spot and stalk and won't take a rifle shot past 300 and some like to shoot at 800 plus.

While some of these ways I'm not too into someone else is. I'm 100 percent ok with that as long as it's done in a responsible and respective matter. Anything to get more support for this timeless tradition I'm good with.

As long as we don't start using M16s on full auto I think we'll be ok.

Last edited:
While we are on the topic let’s figure out if woofs kill elk, if they’re native, if bear spray will save you in the wind, of a 6.5 creemoor will kill an elk, if hunters really should vote for democrats, the amount of cooling the earth will experience per dollar taxed, if I should be disappointed the tranny went out on my tundra at 823k miles, and why NR can’t DIY hunt wilderness in WY.

What’d I miss?
Bernie

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back