long range gunwerks

Everyone whining about 400 yard shots ruining what muzzle loaders are all about had better not be using compound bows. ;)

^^ this, in Idaho you cannot hunt he muzzleloader season with a scope on the top of it... At least the last time I read the regulations.

I was disappointed when Idaho broke down and legalized inline rifles a few years ago. They really should have kept the sidelock requirement. Granted, they still require loose powder (no pellets), no sabots, and exposed percussion caps only (no 209's), but the the spirit of muzzleloading is to be a primitive weapon. IMO inlines violet that spirit and erode the justification for a separate season.

I've got a friend who has one of the custom made smokeless guns. The bolt actually presses a magnum primer into a secondary breech plug that you unscrew to take the primer out. He claims to have shot a whitetail at 275 with hardly any compensation. I personally have a savage but it won't do that. On a good day it would do 200 though.

That being said, I don't think they are primitive weapons and wish the states would go back to it. Hell, isn't it Mississippi that you can use a single shot straight wall cartridge just like a muzzle loader. It was mentioned on a crossbow thread about some sort of limited season for anything but centerfires. Seems like its starting to get crazy with special seasons though. I don't know what the answer is.

I was disappointed when Idaho broke down and legalized inline rifles a few years ago. They really should have kept the sidelock requirement. Granted, they still require loose powder (no pellets), no sabots, and exposed percussion caps only (no 209's), but the the spirit of muzzleloading is to be a primitive weapon. IMO inlines violet that spirit and erode the justification for a separate season.

In-line muzzle loaders are not the problem. If you take away the sabots, pellets and scopes, my hammer guns will shoot just as well within the normal mz ranges.

I started hunting mz years ago in NM. Back then, there were no in-lines. Everybody shot hammer guns, the season was long and I always had a blast. Then, along came the in-lines, and then the Game and Fish buckled and allowed scopes etc. It made me sick, as NM had a fantastic mz deer season up to that point.

They say that in reality, the overall kill does not change much and that may or may not be correct. The bottom line to me, is that a mz is suppose to be a fairly primitive weapon with limited range. The same argument can be made for compound bows, but any way that you cut it, a bow is still a limited range weapon in spite of technology.

Back