Caribou Gear

Long range archery hunting

fiveptbill

Is it me or are more and more hunting programs showing long shots? This seems to be a trend but to me it only happens on western big game. They never show someone taking an 80 yard shot on a whitetail but apparently that is ok on a Pronghorn or a Muley. There are so many variables when you are talking about a 70, 80, or even 90 yard shots. Even if you are the best shot in the world, deer move, the wind changes, or you flat make a bad shot. Range amplifies all of this. This is really bothering me because all of the people that watch these shows think that this is normal. To me if you wouldn't take the shot on a Whitetail back home don't take it when you aren't. Just my 2 cents.

Fire Marshal Bill

+1. I'm not liking the long range trends with either rifle or bow. I know many people can shoot those long ranges proficiently. There are many that see that, and attempt things they should not.

+1, here too. i totally agree with you. i cant stand that, the one that gets me(i wont say the name of the show) but i think there saying is something like nothing under 800 or something like that. that just really makes me mad dont show that kind of stuff, even if you are the greatest shot. it shows people that dont shoot and dont practice all that much the the same gun they are carry around the woods is capable of shooting those distances and then they think they can do it.

+3......an ARCHER sees how far away he can get from his target and still hit it. A BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get to his target before he hits it. Something I think some folks have forgotten. JMO

I still prefer to sneak inside their comfort zone, no matter how far I see them at first and how far I can shoot

I still prefer to sneak inside their comfort zone, no matter how far I see them at first and how far I can shoot

Remember when you posted your pictures of yourself with your pants down around your ankles and you were "sneaking" inside the "comfort zone" of that dead cow elk???

tsk... tsk... old woman comes to mind again...

You need some new material there bucky... :D

+3......an ARCHER sees how far away he can get from his target and still hit it. A BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get to his target before he hits it. Something I think some folks have forgotten. JMO

Amen. My buddies and I try to brag about who was able to get the closest.

Great response. About as true as it gets.

It sounds like these guys are doing a good job of turning hunting into glorified target shooting...

I think that even 70 yards with a bow is pushing insanity. I once took a shot at a deer that was at about 55 yards, but only because I grossly misjudged the distance and I don't think my arrow even made it to its feet.

Last edited:
If it is a follow up shot on a wounded animal and it is as close as you are going to get I am ok with it. But as an initial shot it is all getting a little crazy. I agree I like to see how close I can get and those are the shots worth bragging about. My closest is 2 yards on an antelope, not in a blind.

Curious. Are you guys talking compound bows or traditional...or both?

You can't make up for lousy hunting skills by working on your shooting skills. People should spend more time perfecting the way they hunt rather than how far they can shoot accurately.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back