Long Drive with High Mileage Truck

BTW, I have front and rear sets of the diamond pattern, quick install chains and am a BIG fan. Used them on the jeep prior to this and now 2 seasons on Doug. Easy to put on and they give good lateral stability and bite in snow and mud.

I had just done the 415k oil change on my '99 F350 before racking up 3500 hunting miles this fall. I'd take that truck anywhere. My eyes sometimes wander to other trucks, but this one checks all of the boxes: pre-emissions diesel, seats six, 4x4, long box, standard trans, not scared to get scratched, comfortable to drive.

I had just done the 415k oil change on my '99 F350 before racking up 3500 hunting miles this fall. I'd take that truck anywhere. My eyes sometimes wander to other trucks, but this one checks all of the boxes: pre-emissions diesel, seats six, 4x4, long box, standard trans, not scared to get scratched, comfortable to drive.
Picture, or it didn't happen.

If that has the 48 gallon tank and it's full, yeah, real life goals.

I have to be honest...for the first time this year my buddy and I rented a brand new f150 with a 3.5 turbo 6 cylinder to make our 3 state hunting trip from Michigan to Nodak/Sodak/Montana. My old 05 f150 has 235000 on it and of all things it wasnt the miles on the truck that made the difference - in this case it was the cost of rental accompanied by the fuel efficiency the rental. We rented that brand new truck and with the mileage savings we ended up spending $110 more each to be gone for 19 days and not worry for one second about the vehicle or how long we idled it in place, slept in it, rubbed bottom with it or scratched it up (damage waiver paid for). We beat the hell outta that truck and in the end I feel just fine with that...not to mention that my old girl is an old world truck- and this 2019 f150 was a platinum with every bell and whistle they can be made with - kinda luxurious for my blood, but nice to borrow. If the plans are different next year, I will take my old rig again and it'll have 250ish on it at that point.. I'm my own wrench and I stay right on top of everything. It pays to be prepared, but the rental program is a HUGE savings over mine when you calculate the fuel efficiency.

Ol Doug performed admirably again on this last trip. Loaded with gear, on the way to and from CPOs house on the highway I got over 19 mpg :) Uses a little oil but it IS 27 years old. Best part is driving it off road to places and in ways guys with new trucks won't or can't. Folks are always asking why I don't get a new truck. Biggest reason is that it would only take 3-4 payments to reach what my total cost for Doug was. I think I have put about 3500 miles on him so far but have to guess as the odo doesn't work.....just more character ;)
Nice custom chain tensioners!

Just got back from 3000 mile trip on my f350 with 340k on it. I wouldnt think twice about doing it again after an oil change

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back