Long Drive with High Mileage Truck

ElkFever2

I drive a 2004 Ranger with 220k miles now on it's second engine. I trust driving it anywhere and any distance. I do my own maintenance, upkeep, and repairs for the most part and also have my mechanic lay eyes on it about every six months just in case I miss something. It has zero issues and I fix things as soon as they crop up. Anyways, IMO the odometer reading is not nearly as important as how well a truck has been maintained. A 125k mile truck might sound safer, but if upkeep has been poor it can be a hazard for any long trip. I know people whose vehicles have 300k or 400k miles and are very reliable b/c components are switched out when they need to be.

Reactions: LCH

WapitiBob

Karma bit me in the ass. Sitting in a campground 2 hours from anywhere, 1000 miles from home, and it appears the fuel pump went out on the old girl. Evidently they only last 400,000 miles.
If I didn't have service it would have been ugly.

$1200 later, it was loose battery cables.

421,000 on the odometer and headed back to WY for a Sept 1 opener.

oleefish2

So much luck involved when it comes to newer and older vehicles. It reads like almost all of us do the right thing when taking care of our rides and some have saved our hind ends in place we should not have been and some died in the driveway. The problem is that the electronics in so many of our rides can fail at anytime they feel like it without us doing anything wild or crazy. Check engine lights should be strung on a Christmas tree because they sure like to come on and brighten our cabs. My cousins 2014 GMC
Duramax with only 35k had a sensor go bad and put his truck in limp mode and it took 3 weeks for the dealer to get one???

Greyman

I've got a 2006 Tacoma with >320,000 hard miles. It's my daily driver, wood hauler, boat puller, and off-road hunting/fishing/camping vehicle. Other than regular maintenance and wear items, I've never had to put a wrench on it. I just recently drove it to the Oregon coast and back to the Texas Gulf coast. I won't hesitate to take it on a cross country hunting trip this fall.
I think the most impressive part is that the truck has survived being driven by 3 teenage boys and my wife.

hank4elk

330k on currant 98 Tacoma,& I do have backup. If I can get home...lol
My 1st Toyota had 565k on it when I sold it & it is still going I hear. 2 trips from CC CA to MT & back after it hit 350k, a dozen to NM.

Had 500k+ on a 65 F250 4x4 when I got it. Odomiter never did work, it was a Navy surplus truck. Drove that thing all over & worked with it for 10 yrs.
I wish I had it still. Paid $750 for it.