Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Lonely voice in the Wilderness?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some will find a reason/topic for which to criticize Wyoming Governor Matt Mead. To me, he has been a damn good presence against some really crazy powers in his state, especially on Public Land and conservation issues. He is often a "lonely voice in the wilderness" against some really strange ideas among fellow western elected leaders.

In the article linked below, he tells the crazies in his state that Wyoming take over of the public lands is not only a dead legal argument, but a financial train wreck. Yes, he has an "R" after his title of Governor. He is standing against the stupidity promoted by many within his own party and trust me, it will come with a lot of blowback to him.

It is his position, and the position of other free thinkers like him, that are reasons we must resist the savory temptations to cast all elected leaders of any party into one basket, whether it be R or D, on the issue of public lands or guns or (insert issue here). Those who might be minorities within their own group are actually our most important allies. I am thankful for Governor Mead's position and willingness to take the heat that will come from framing the topic as he has.

Governor Mead was past Chairman of the Western Governors Association. He has a lot of respect among western politicians, with the western politician being far more likely to drink the sell/transfer Kool-aid than those from other parts of the country. Having Governor Mead make these kind of defenses against the cause of selling/transferring public lands is a huge benefit to those of us involved in this issue.

Thank you Governor Mead.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_f5aa7c33-8b84-57a9-9711-b5e1f0c04760.html

+1! Mead is a good Governor. Glad to see him make his views know to the public.

I wish we had more Republicans like him. You WY guys, make sure you let him know that his stance is appreciated.

And, if you read the article, the last paragraph is.....

President-elect Donald Trump is expected to nominate Republican U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington as Interior secretary, which would put her over 500 million acres in public lands. Five years ago, she co-sponsored a bill that would have required the Interior secretary to sell more than 3 million acres of public land.

Mead has been a solid guy for a variety of issues related to public lands and conservation. Really wish he would have taken the opportunity to be the next Secretary of Interior.

I have had a hard time finding much of anything that I have disagreed with Governor Mead. He really is a breath of fresh air during times like this.

If he's a good guy then by all means let him know, there aren't many Democrats to speak of in Wyoming, but I'm sure "all" of them are good guys/gals too and equally good on public lands, so please, let them know you appreciate them as well.

I agree with Randy, Governor Mead is a darn good friend to the hunting, fishing, conservation and outdoor community.

I've had meetings with him and he's very professional, well spoken, and knows how important hunting, fishing, and outdoor recreation are to Wyoming...both socially and economically.

The Wyoming Sportsmen's Alliance was formed via his recommendation that sportsmen get themselves organized if they want to influence the politics of conservation, hunting, and fishing. His advice was taken and we've been wayyy more successful together than individually.

Governor Mead also appointed a blue ribbon task force to look at future funding options for the WYGF. He just recently appointed an outdoor recreation task force to look at ways to increase recreation on public lands in Wyoming.

The thing he has done the best, IMO, is that he really tries to facilitate the interested parties in any issue to work together for local solutions.

He's done a few things that I don't agree with, but that's called life. That said, if he could serve another term, I would vote for him again, in a heart-beat.

Governor Mead is a friend of sportsmen/women and the conservation community and deserves a thank you.

I've listened to Gov. Mead on several podcasts, and have been very impressed. It's refreshing to hear his pragmatic approach to things.

The comments at the bottom of the article are interesting. For anyone in Wyoming that doesnt want Gov Mead I am more than willing to offer a trade for Rob Bishop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back