Load for Pronghorn

How small of a bullet would people recommend? I inherited a 22-250 from my brother last year and thought about slapping a new scope on it. Does a 60 gr partition hit them hard enough? It certainly has the energy with the velocity but I'd be worried about that small of a bullet doing enough damage.

How small of a bullet would people recommend? I inherited a 22-250 from my brother last year and thought about slapping a new scope on it. Does a 60 gr partition hit them hard enough? It certainly has the energy with the velocity but I'd be worried about that small of a bullet doing enough damage.
More than enough in my opinion. I shot a doe at 175yds with a 223 Rem and 55gr Hornady spire point. Left a 50 cent-ish sized exit hole. She went less than 20yds. Lots of other bullets that'd work in the 22-250 if you have the twist rate to spin them. If 22s were legal in Indiana, my kids wouldn't be using a 243...

I’ve shot a lot of antelope and mule deer with a .22-250, no problems.

I likely will be using my 30-06 with hand-loaded 150 Speer Hot Cor over H4350. That load has killed a lot of game for me.

I may try .223 in my AR or single shot with 55 Speer SP this year.

My daughter uses a .243 with 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. Has worked on 3 deer, a sheep and an antelope.

Last edited:
Whenever I finally get to go chase some Speed Goats I will be using my longtime whitetail outfit that my Dad bought me 20 years ago. That being a Savage Model 110 in .270 Win topped
with a 3-12x42 Nikon Monarch 3 BDC, shooting 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in front of IMR 4350. If I was to get a smaller caliber I have been looking at the classic 25-06, it’s hyper fast cousin the .257 Weatherby Mag, or the 6mm Creed shooting 95-117 grain medicine. My Dad already has a .243 Win.
The 22-250 is another sweet shooter that would fill out my arsenal and I know of people taking whitetail deer 🦌 for years with it, for me it would be for coyotes aka song dogs, varmints and target 🎯 fun.

The 140 gr. Ballistic tip would work great for your antelope and deer hunting. I would prefer the 140 gr. Accubond over the Ballistic Tip. You might try a few with the same load you have with the Ballistic Tip. I would not be surprised that they shoot it as well as the load you worked up for the Ballistic Tip. I feel that you will have a little less blood-shot meat using the Accubond, but with anything sometimes you can make a heck of a mess of things hitting ribs and bone.

The 140 gr. Ballistic tip would work great for your antelope and deer hunting. I would prefer the 140 gr. Accubond over the Ballistic Tip. You might try a few with the same load you have with the Ballistic Tip. I would not be surprised that they shoot it as well as the load you worked up for the Ballistic Tip. I feel that you will have a little less blood-shot meat using the Accubond, but with anything sometimes you can make a heck of a mess of things hitting ribs and bone.

Iill pick up some accubonds to reload with tomorrow and give it a try

My wife shoots a 7 08 and has done well on antelope with it. The load I came up with is 139 gr Hornady Interlocks over 45.4 grains of IMR 4350.

I know this question opens a can of worms, but what loads do you prefer for pronghorn. I’ll be using my only legal rifle, a Howa 7mm-08 shooting 140gr Nosler ballistic tips loaded with 45 grains of IMR 4350. I’ve killed a few antelope and a couple deer with that so I’ll most likely be using it again but thought I would hear what other hunters are using.

1590697461032.jpeg

I have shot all my Antelope with a 6mm Rem a .270 Win and a .264 Win Mag. Most have been shot with Reloads In my 6mm Rem I have used Factory 100gr in Reloads Sierra 85gr HPBT and Hornady 100gr BTSP
The .270 I sold but used Reloads of Sierra 130gr SP
My .264 Win Mag Nosler 120gr BT with it I made my longest shot just over 500 yards.
To Me the 6mm Rem is Perfect for the size Antelope.

6.5 Creedmoor loaded with Berger 140 Hybrids
.25-06 With 115 Ballistic Tips
.270 With Barnes 130 TTSX
All worked well. 25-06 is probably my favorite, but the TTSX out of the 270 is very impressive.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back