Llama Hunting - Prices 2021- Ouch

Everything hunting related seems to have gone through the roof. I paid $400 for a duck dog. He was great but I lost him at 6.5 years old. Same breeder wanted $800 inch that many years later. I know my salary didn’t double in 6.5 years.

NY deer tags are still about 100 bucks for a non resident, OTC and you get a free bear tag thrown in! Tons of accessible public land and no need for horses, llamas, or even a 4x4...

Absolutely not, he’s actually just raising prices to meet the market, he was very affordable. Beau is great but expensive, my outfitter was $100 a day per llama cheaper than Beau. I believe now they are comparable.
And you can't blame him in these times, my fly fishing guiding bookings have been a disaster this year because of the Covid thing, so many cancellations and no financial help from the government, like many others it hit me hard in my pocket this year.
But it was pointed out to me by a friend that all my competitors were charging a lot more for their services, so I upped my prices by 20% in August to bring me inline, and I have to say the customers old and new have still placed bookings even though I made that decision....but I'm still broke :LOL:

I can't see me ever getting back across the pond, but even if I did I couldn't afford Llamas, in my 60's I would just have to hunt within my limitations, which aren't too bad for an old fart!:LOL:

Cheers

Richard

@Boarmaster folks lack imagination and or willingness to make phone calls.

“Affordable” is going to be defined differently for different people, but there is a lot of adventure out there for cheap. In the last 8 years I’ve been on a pile of hunts and between gear, tags, multistate apps, airfair (including bush planes), llama rentals, motels, taxidermy etc I still haven’t spent 10k.

@Boarmaster folks lack imagination and or willingness to make phone calls.

“Affordable” is going to be defined differently for different people, but there is a lot of adventure out there for cheap. In the last 8 years I’ve been on a pile of hunts and between gear, tags, multistate apps, airfair (including bush planes), llama rentals, motels, taxidermy etc I still haven’t spent 10k.

Just to be clear, you mean 10K on an individual hunt, right? Because I will be pushing 3K for this year alone, nearly half of which is just my licenses and tags in Montana. This will be my third trip out west oh, and I expect to hit 10K in total definitely within the next year too.

I think his statement stands as relatively accurate if you add the qualifier that you're talking about hunting for male ungulates. When you start talking about bears, pigs, etc or does and cows, there are certainly a ton of relatively inexpensive hunting Adventures out there.

Just to be clear, you mean 10K on an individual hunt, right? Because I will be pushing 3K for this year alone, nearly half of which is just my licenses and tags in Montana. This will be my third trip out west oh, and I expect to hit 10K in total definitely within the next year too.

I think his statement stands as relatively accurate if you add the qualifier that you're talking about hunting for male ungulates. When you start talking about bears, pigs, etc or does and cows, there are certainly a ton of relatively inexpensive hunting Adventures out there.
Nope everything, I have a $3k hunt and a $1200 hunt every other one was under $600.

My AK moose trip a couple weeks ago cost $19 airfare and $160 for a covid test.

- edit didn’t consider meat processing costs that would push me over 10k, I do a lot of my own, but recently have been having my elk butchered.

Last edited:
Nope everything, I have a $3k hunt and a $1200 hunt every other one was under $600.

My AK moose trip a couple weeks ago cost $19 airfare and $160 for a covid test.

- edit didn’t consider meat processing costs that would push me over 10k, I do a lot of my own, but recently have been having my elk butchered.

Man, my trip this year will cost me $500 in gas alone, and that's splitting it with dad lol. Look, I even have a little chart! (don't give me a hard time about hotels, that's just for the trip up and back, 6 days worth of driving . . . )

ItemCost per Item# RequiredTotal CostsCost per Hunter (2)
Big Game Combo (deer/elk)$ 1,065.00
2​
$ 2,130.00$ 1,065.00
Deer B Tag$ 80.00
2​
$ 160.00$ 80.00
OnX Membership$ 80.00
1​
$ 80.00$ 40.00
Gas (total)$ 1,021.17
1​
$ 1,021.17$ 510.58
Hotel (Total)$ 720.00
1​
$ 720.00$ 360.00
$ -
0​
$ -$ -
Total$ 4,186.17$ 2,093.08

While I may hunt basically in my back yard, my elk camp is less than an hour from the house, I spend more than $19.00 driving into town for groceries to haul back up to my camp.

Man, my trip this year will cost me $500 in gas alone, and that's splitting it with dad lol. Look, I even have a little chart! (don't give me a hard time about hotels, that's just for the trip up and back, 6 days worth of driving . . . )

ItemCost per Item# RequiredTotal CostsCost per Hunter (2)
Big Game Combo (deer/elk)$ 1,065.00
2​
$ 2,130.00$ 1,065.00
Deer B Tag$ 80.00
2​
$ 160.00$ 80.00
OnX Membership$ 80.00
1​
$ 80.00$ 40.00
Gas (total)$ 1,021.17
1​
$ 1,021.17$ 510.58
Hotel (Total)$ 720.00
1​
$ 720.00$ 360.00
$ -
0​
$ -$ -
Total$ 4,186.17$ 2,093.08
@wllm1313 How can you argue with this... Your HT posts consist of verifiable information... at least from your soap box position, at the time... (haha! /poke) :)

@wllm1313 How can you argue with this... Your HT posts consist of verifiable information... at least from your soap box position, at the time... (haha! /poke) :)
That is what that hunt costs, you can’t deny that... a cheap ass dude would try to apply somewhere where he could use a buddies truck, buy a plane ticket on points, put the meat in a carry on, camp only, etc.

^ This precludes a lot of hunts...also my budget has expanded and my hunts have gotten more expensive, my first 4 years were way cheaper than my last 2 years. Last year alone was as expensive as the previous 6.

Flip side I’ve help a bunch of friends hunt for pennies as well so not so much mooching.

-Also hyperbole is what makes life interesting...but also it’s important that your friends at times keep you honest, so thank you ;)

Last edited:
Every time I think about llamas, I think of coming back from a stalk to find a lead rope, a puddle of blood and a grizzly bear with a full stomach.
They look handy, but they look like a perfect snack for nature.
If I end up renting llamas, I’ll probably be taking them into the Washakie Wilderness. I might see if Beau offers insurance like a car rental company for grizzly bear situations...

Um, yeah...considering your wife's profession and career status right now, I don't see the "let's move so I can hunt cheaper" conversation going that smoothly :ROFLMAO:

Yeah probably like our gun license convo went...

"Mass gun laws are ridiculous, it takes A YEAR to get a permit to own a gun"

"Guess you need to become the great white bow hunter"

No quarter given, hence why I complain to you fine people ;)

If I end up renting llamas, I’ll probably be taking them into the Washakie Wilderness. I might see if Beau offers insurance like a car rental company for grizzly bear situations...

Yeah the fine print on my contract is essentially you break it you buy it.

Absolutely not, he’s actually just raising prices to meet the market, he was very affordable. Beau is great but expensive, my outfitter was $100 a day per llama cheaper than Beau. I believe now they are comparable.
So your outfitter was free?
Wilderness Ridge is currently at $100/day/llama
1601672965743.png

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back