Caribou Gear Tarp

Living in the Tongass

AndyPOW

Hello all, and thanks for the add. My family and I live on the north end of Prince of Wales Island. . . hence the POW. Grew up hunting northeast whitetails, grouse, waterfowl etc. . . Along the way I won the Amateur National Grouse Championship and International Woodcock Championship with a pointer I raised and trained. Now I, my wife and the five boys we adopted live off the road system on the north end of the island. We hunt Sitka blacktail, moose, waterfowl, and catch the odd salmon and halibut. My 13 year old is very close to earning his half of a Tikka T3X Veil Alpine with which to start the season with in a few weeks. Thanks for the join.

Welcome aboard. Love POW, lived in Kassan for almost a year and miss the island very much! Have to make it back someday.

Welcome!

I am planning a SE AK hunt for 2021. I'm all ears for stories and advice.
Where? Do plenty of e-scouting to identify nutrient traps/feeding areas. These rainforest soils are notoriously poor in nutrients due to leaching. The deer are attracted to areas underlain by limestone, grass flats at the mouths of salmon creeks, and so on. A lot of muskegs look good but don't have much for food, so little deer traffic. 20' into the old growth and there will be plenty of sign, and 30' of visibility. Be sure to have a gps program on your phone or a Garmin. The muskegs all look the same, especially in the rain and mist. Use a call. Drop Shot calls are very popular throughout the region.

Welcome. Sounds like a great place to live. Sitka blacktails are my number one bucket list hunt, someday I will get after them

Welcome from another newb. Went to p.o.w. last summer for the first time on a diy fishing trip. Great place but didn't explore enough.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back