Liver Recipe?

Colberjs

Laid some venison liver out of the freezer to cook this evening. I'm thinking just put some salt and pepper in some flour and dust it on and fry it up. Just curious what you guys do to prep it though. Soak in salt water, milk, ???

Anything better that I should try?

I soak it in salt water and dry it before freezing. I cook a bunch of bacon in a cast iron skillet and then some onions just until they are soft and take them all out. I dredge the liver in very seasoned flour and put it directly into the hot bacon grease and cook quickly on both sides.

Sometimes I will make a beer batter and cut the liver up into chunks and flour dredge it then put it into the beer batter then deep fry it until golden brown.

The biggest thing with liver is to make sure it is sliced fairly thin so that you can cook it quickly and get a good sear on both sides before it gets overcooked.

Thanks for the tips. For some reason the liver has a real string odor to it. It reminds me of the smell when you accidentally puncture the stomach when gutting. I don't recall doing that and I dresses the deer within 10-15 minutes after shooting her and it was probably low 30's when I killed her.

Try a liver pate? Easy enough to do and plenty of recipes out there.

We did some a while back, really nice with good crackers and goats cheese.

My recipe for liver entails leaving it for the birds!

Glad some of you guys can stomach it and make good use of it.

Boil it chop it up and feed it to the dog......:cool:

I agree. My wife loves it and I am not a picky eater at all, BUT I cannot stomach that crap. I guess it is something about eating the organ that filters all the crap out of your blood that bothers me, not to mention the nasty texture.

I do love heart, though!!

My wife always just fries liver with onions.

I agree. My wife loves it and I am not a picky eater at all, BUT I cannot stomach that crap. I guess it is something about eating the organ that filters all the crap out of your blood that bothers me, not to mention the nasty texture.

I do love heart, though!!

My wife always just fries liver with onions.
I could not have said it better myself.....:cool:

Tie fishing hook on sturdy fishing pole. Put liver on hook. Cast into waters known to have catfish. Catch catfish. Deep fry catfish in your favorite manner.

Put on cutting board.
cut liver into 1" cubes
add one cup chopped onions
pinch of salt
1 tsp garlic poweder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tblsp oil
Cook for 15 minutes
Throw liver away and eat cutting board.

You've got to be really hungry to eat the filter. Yuck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back