live+work in Cali but own ranch out of state

if you havent achieved anythig by the time youre seventy neither will you if you live for another seventy,,go for it and dont look back

Hey guys so I’m a general contractor and I live in sf bay California. I hate the politics and the people and the hunting sucks but it’s hard to argue with the money you make here. We have a small property here in California and we have horses on it which is pretty awesome. My dads buddy owns a hunting property in Idaho but lives and runs his own company in California so he can work here most months but during elk and deer season he stays in Idaho and just runs the business from there. I was thinking about trying to do the same thing but in Montana or Wyoming and than just hiring a ranch foreman to look after the property and my livestock when I’m in California working. Than since I make California money I can live a comfortable life but go out there regularly and be there for most of hunting season. What do you guys think of this plan? I will eventually move to that property but while I’m young and still can work hard and make money I think I should. Do any of you guys do this?
I think it sounds like a fine plan you seem like a man with some common sense and ambition.. sometimes we must sacrifice to gain the things we want. I for one hope you achieve your dreams and more.

Guys don't discourage him... I'm a general contractor in MT and I was hoping I could get that ranch overseer job. :) Like MT Muley, I think I know of some good properties if the OP has the coin.

As far as the original question about owning hunting property in another state... you need to decide right off the bat if your priority is to own property or hunt. If hunting is the goal, there are a LOT cheaper and less stressfull ways of spending time in quality hunting areas. Coming from Cali, even most public areas of MT are going to seem like good hunting. If owning property is the priority and you can swing it financially I say go for it. The overall trend of quality land in MT is doing nothing but going up, up, up, but you better be in a position to work with numbers in the $2-10 million price range if you are wanting enough land and resources to support quality hunting on your own land. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of properties for less that host deer and elk you can access when they are residing on your property, but for resident herds that aren't harrassed and harvested by neighboring land owners you will have to think in terms of thousands of acres not dozens or hundreds.

I bet you are right. Wonder what his expectations are. mtmuley

Where he's "looking" his expectations better be not hunting much. For starters, there aren't many bigger ranches for sale around Thayne. Lots of 10-50 acre pieces with houses springing up on them. That area is also very expensive being so close to Jackson.

Unless you can find 160+ acres, with 2000 animal use days a year, he will not be getting many tags to hunt with on his new hunting property. Region G NR deer tags, are maybe a once every 5-6 year deal, best case. NR General elk, maybe once every 2-3 depending on how much money you want to spend. Wyoming residency requirements are also one continuous year and there are requirements on the number of days you have to live in state each year after that.

Not saying your that type of guy. But the exact thing you are wanting to do has been one of the things that has been destroying the western states way of life from days gone by. Too many CA people can't leave the CA bs behind and try and bring it with them. Its a good idea but don't be shocked when every local doesn't welcome you with open arms. You'll always be "That guy that moved here from CA and bought The" insert name here ranch". Hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk but its a reality.

Indians have been saying that since Lewis & Clark :ROFLMAO:

Forgive me if someone else has mentioned it. Why not just go with an outfitter on guided hunts? If you hunt alot and have the bucks to buy a place, why not lease a time share? You can rent a really nice cabin if you want. To really make a go of it, a person needs to make the commitment to live there and run the place. You could make somethng off of renting cabins and grazing leases. The most likely scenario though is that you will get tired of pouring money into it and sell it in a few years.

I remember seeing a bumper sticker in New Mexico: "If Texas is so great, why are they all here?"

Yeah, I've seen that one too. I like New Mexico a lot, they have a lot of things that we don't, but considering Texas adds almost as many people a year as they do in 10, a good handle on demographics isn't one of them. Of course that might be why some Texans go to New Mexico...it's getting pretty crowded around here.

I remember seeing a bumper sticker in New Mexico: "If Texas is so great, why are they all here?"
They feel homesick for Mamacita......Tejas was east NM for 300 years before they went rogue.
Nowadays they migrate home to get out of summer heat & find Public lands to hunt in fall,then stay to ski....& buy ranches.

Investing in land is sound it seems,but I would not bet on being able to hunt every year if you do not live here on less than 3 sections. Then you might get 1 tag.
....the times they are a changin'. Nuevo Mexico changes very slowly...

I am in a similar situation, but live in the Seattle area, and this is how I look at it.

I don’t like being here anymore, but I have a great job, real estate investments and an 11 year old son here. Where my friends are and my huntin grounds are, in Montana, it gets cooooold in winter and very, very hot in summer. The ranches are remote- 40 minutes from town is the closest. I enjoy visiting but I don’t think I would like to be there year round, especially on one of the remote ranches.

I am 57 years old and am trying to get away from maintaining property, I also don’t go hunting to save money or cook, so, when I go hunting I stay at the best hotel in town and enjoy.

Maybe if I can reduce my workload, I will rent a storage space near my friends/huntin area to keep my boat and side x side. Maybe someday I’ll go to Alaska for fishing and hunting season, I dunno, but I am flexible.

So, fwiw I don’t really look at a hunting ranch as a great asset, I can use several of them as well as plenty of public land for free.

Not saying your that type of guy. But the exact thing you are wanting to do has been one of the things that has been destroying the western states way of life from days gone by. Too many CA people can't leave the CA bs behind and try and bring it with them. Its a good idea but don't be shocked when every local doesn't welcome you with open arms. You'll always be "That guy that moved here from CA and bought The" insert name here ranch". Hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk but its a reality.

Yep, you get labeled for life in the small town west. A lady friend I have is “ugly divorce” -it was 10 years ago and counting. One of my buddies made one off color racial comment at a bar - well, he’ll be labeled a racist forever. Another guy apparently smoked a little marijuana at a party- you guessed it! Pothead. Forever.
I’m “the rich guy from Washington” , not too bad, it could be a lot worse... Although I’m not very rich by west coast standards, I’m considered affluent to some.

In contrast, on my returns to the coast I really notice how judgmental, and quick to judge others, west coast big city people are. I find myself being ashamed to be around some of them.

Last edited:
I live in central Calif and I and a partner and I have property in Montana. We hunt there 3-4 weeks, go out at least one week a year to work on the property. More important we hunt as non residents by the book! We have made friends in the small town close by and try to support there businesses if possible.

Last edited:
Hey guys so I’m a general contractor and I live in sf bay California. I hate the politics and the people and the hunting sucks but it’s hard to argue with the money you make here. We have a small property here in California and we have horses on it which is pretty awesome. My dads buddy owns a hunting property in Idaho but lives and runs his own company in California so he can work here most months but during elk and deer season he stays in Idaho and just runs the business from there. I was thinking about trying to do the same thing but in Montana or Wyoming and than just hiring a ranch foreman to look after the property and my livestock when I’m in California working. Than since I make California money I can live a comfortable life but go out there regularly and be there for most of hunting season. What do you guys think of this plan? I will eventually move to that property but while I’m young and still can work hard and make money I think I should. Do any of you guys do this?
Montana is full, but I hear that North Dakota is nice! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back