live+work in Cali but own ranch out of state

dirtnap_nation

Hey guys so I’m a general contractor and I live in sf bay California. I hate the politics and the people and the hunting sucks but it’s hard to argue with the money you make here. We have a small property here in California and we have horses on it which is pretty awesome. My dads buddy owns a hunting property in Idaho but lives and runs his own company in California so he can work here most months but during elk and deer season he stays in Idaho and just runs the business from there. I was thinking about trying to do the same thing but in Montana or Wyoming and than just hiring a ranch foreman to look after the property and my livestock when I’m in California working. Than since I make California money I can live a comfortable life but go out there regularly and be there for most of hunting season. What do you guys think of this plan? I will eventually move to that property but while I’m young and still can work hard and make money I think I should. Do any of you guys do this?

Great plan if you have a private plane with decent cruising speed.
Bad plan if you have active children. When the kids get busy, you won’t have time to go to the ranch.

To me it seems there is enough public land out there that I wouldn’t bother with a ranch, but if money is no issue then why not as long as you’re looking at it as a retirement home. Only thing to keep in mind is how much work it can be to maintain land. If you have kids it can be difficult to find this time...

Double check residency rules for the targeted ranch state. (There was some stink about a Montana politician wannabe claiming Montana resident status, and getting into hot water)

I don't know about Montana, but residency as far as tags go can be an issue. Having a remote property isn't a bad thing as I have a couple of them. its about the neighbors, location and use. I lease both mine out for cattle which means someone is there from time to time to check on things. I am 5 hrs away from mine and that doesn't seem long, but others stated having kids and family makes it hard. 5 hrs might as well be 20 hrs.
I live in Oregon and have property in the the same. I get LOP tags for elk and deer and only cost less than $100 for both. We are going to be moving to Idaho, where I am closer to my Oregon property but my LOP tags cost will now go up to over $300 per tag as I will be non-resident then.
But for me just having a little piece that i could call my own was really important to me. My dad was a cattle farmer and I wanted to make sure I had property when I retire that i could use. God's not making any more of it and if you listen to a few of the knuckleheads on this forum either climate change or Trump is going to take it all. ( not my words theirs)

Sounds like a great plan if you can swing it. I've got a hunting farm with cabin 5 hours away and really enjoy the place. I don't bother with the farming, just cash rent to ground to a local guy. Would suggest you do the same, a side benefit is someone around the place in your absence to keep an eye on things. I'd think keeping a ranch hand and owning your own cattle will be a loser.

Kinda trolly post, but if serious - it sounds like a great idea when times are good.

A real bad idea when they aren't.

Sounds like a great plan if you can swing it. I've got a hunting farm with cabin 5 hours away and really enjoy the place. I don't bother with the farming, just cash rent to ground to a local guy. Would suggest you do the same, a side benefit is someone around the place in your absence to keep an eye on things. I'd think keeping a ranch hand and owning your own cattle will be a loser.
Where I live in California and where I was looking in Wyoming is only 12 hours so it’s not that bad of a drive

Why would you want to loose money in tough years running cattle you own. I would lease the place to some one else and let them take all the risk of owning cattle. Might not make as much money in the good years but a lot less headache.
That’s what I was thinking I was thinking of leasing it to another rancher and also making money off trespass fee hunters. My good buddy lives 35 minutes from where I’m looking in Thayne Wyoming and he said he can look after it kind of like a ranch foreman

I don't know about Montana, but residency as far as tags go can be an issue. Having a remote property isn't a bad thing as I have a couple of them. its about the neighbors, location and use. I lease both mine out for cattle which means someone is there from time to time to check on things. I am 5 hrs away from mine and that doesn't seem long, but others stated having kids and family makes it hard. 5 hrs might as well be 20 hrs.
I live in Oregon and have property in the the same. I get LOP tags for elk and deer and only cost less than $100 for both. We are going to be moving to Idaho, where I am closer to my Oregon property but my LOP tags cost will now go up to over $300 per tag as I will be non-resident then.
But for me just having a little piece that i could call my own was really important to me. My dad was a cattle farmer and I wanted to make sure I had property when I retire that i could use. God's not making any more of it and if you listen to a few of the knuckleheads on this forum either climate change or Trump is going to take it all. ( not my words theirs)
That’s why I’m doing it. Eventually I want to move out there when I have enough money and investments to live comfortable but while I’m young I need to make what I can while I can. I was thinking of leasing it to a rancher to graze cattle and he will also have to take care of my horses and look after the property or my buddy that lives 30 min away said he would be like a ranch foreman.

Not saying your that type of guy. But the exact thing you are wanting to do has been one of the things that has been destroying the western states way of life from days gone by. Too many CA people can't leave the CA bs behind and try and bring it with them. Its a good idea but don't be shocked when every local doesn't welcome you with open arms. You'll always be "That guy that moved here from CA and bought The" insert name here ranch". Hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk but its a reality.

That’s why I’m doing it. Eventually I want to move out there when I have enough money and investments to live comfortable but while I’m young I need to make what I can while I can. I was thinking of leasing it to a rancher to graze cattle and he will also have to take care of my horses and look after the property or my buddy that lives 30 min away said he would be like a ranch foreman.
I trade cattle grazing for hunting rights on my main property and trade grazing for a side of beef on the other.

I'd still love to know how old @OP is..
Don't much care how old he is. Doubt he knows how much property out here in the "West" is enough for a viable hunting property. And if he has serious coin, I know of a couple for sale. mtmuley

mtmuley, I just wonder if he's been through a downturn. tying money up in a illiquid asset during boomtimes is so tempting, and so painful when it goes bad. but what do I know..

I hear you. But, big chunks of Montana that can be afforded are rarely a bad deal. mtmuley

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back