Caribou Gear

Live: Game Off 2022

Super cool and inspiring. Getting my wife to follow along. Said we should try it but she is 10x the cook I am.

@ammo thanks for the inspiration tonight. With a fridge and freezer loaded with delicious pheasant meat now, i decided to make my signature pheasant dish tonight for...welll ummm me and only me lol wife works. So too bad for her missing this one!

View attachment 255271
But how do you get it to stay in the pan upside down like that???

It’s magic!!!

Alrighty folks ...the write up you've been waiting for!

Game Off started off smoothly...the pheasant tamales were coming out of the steamer perfectly. As people arrived, they were plated and served "Christmas Style" (green poblano sauce/red chile sauce).
077B371F-48C7-4C25-8651-BD06369C9976.jpeg
Mr.Ammo fried up fried pheasant for his theme - a fast food restaurant he named "Big Bertha's" (Bertha was what we named the elk this year) complete with KFC homemade dipping sauce. He donned a chef's shirt and hat with a fake logo on it. Impressive theme game! Pheasant was served out of a KFC bucket.
4C9DC666-099E-4757-8C54-BC0204F39948.jpeg
Once most of the judges had arrived (our total headcount was ~25) we announced the contest structure and explained our first dish (his, fried pheasant for his fast food empire - moi, tamales in honor of New Years!) My theme was the holidays, working backwards. I donned a NYE headband and number glasses from 2013.

Onto round two! The sauce with meatballs was already done/warming on the stove. Buns were pre toasted in the oven then filled. I swiftly assembled and served elk meatball subs. These were definitely a hit! They honored the limbo period between Xmas and New Years where we need lots of calories for skiing and don't like cooking and Italian Grandma Ammo might have a big pot of sauce on the stove.

Meanwhile MrAmmo was busy making elk tacos and serving them up to folks. Elk tacos are apparently a dish served at Big Bertha's.

Lastly the final round was chaos on the stove! MrAmmo fried up elk katsu (breaded tenderloin served on a white loaf of Japanese bread covered in a special katsu sauce). Meanwhile the biscuits went in and the gravy (elk breakfast sausage/chorizo combo) was cooked. B+G of course being a nod to Christmas morning breakfast that my mom (family from the south) makes every year.

Once all the judges were served it was time to vote. Best dish gets bragging rights, chef with the most points total wins GO22.

Best dish was....biscuits and gravy!
GO22 Champion......Ammo by a landslide victory!

The judges left delightfully full.
We decided that Mr Ammo needs an official apron to honor his 2016 victory but that I need Champion patches for my existing apron for 2017 and 2022 (2019 already accounted for).

All in all it was a fun and chaotic night! I did a terrible job taking photos but some of our friends got some that I'll post at some point. Thanks for following along! 🤠

Back