Live: Game Off 2022

ammo

So nearly every year Mr.Ammo and I host a competitive cooking competition to determine who is the better chef of wild game. We invite 20-30 friends aka judges. The structure is as follows:

-Round 1 we both use pheasant
-Round 2 we both use ground elk
-Round 3 is chefs choice (backstrap is off the table but anything else is fair game eg sausage, ground, loin)

Every judge gets 3 votes, they may distribute the votes however they please. Chef with the most votes TOTAL at the end of the night wins.

Currently I'm the defending champion and holder of the most Game Off titles.

Much like a "live hunt" I figured I'd alleviate all of your post season boredom with a "live" play by play leading up to the contest (Tuesday).

Here's a goofy promotional photo we sent out in the invite and a closeup of the Game Off 2019 Winner's Apron:

85FB7E8B-E670-4B0B-BBA4-35826FD6839D.jpeg9B5A2800-1BB3-4BEB-BE88-475E7073763C.jpeg

Countdown to Game Off: 2 Days, 1 hour, 43 minutes

Current projects: slow cooking pheasant for tamales (yes tamales!) has Chef Ammo bitten off more than she can chew...? The slow cooker broth after ~4ish hours is amazing smelling and tasting. High hopes for the pulled pheasant.

Also starting elk meatballs in red sauce.

4383C42A-33B3-4B4D-82CE-5ACC54C1D928.jpeg

Countdown to Game Off: 2 Days, 1 hour, 43 minutes

Current projects: slow cooking pheasant for tamales (yes tamales!) has Chef Ammo bitten off more than she can chew...? The slow cooker broth after ~4ish hours is amazing smelling and tasting. High hopes for the pulled pheasant.

Also starting elk meatballs in red sauce.

View attachment 254873
How do I get an invite?

A couple of great choices so far. Looking forward to see what you go with for chef's choice!

Countdown to Game Off: 1 day 21 hours and 57 minutes

Red sauce with meatballs is successfully simmering.

Onto tamale creation...
The pulled pheasant slaps as the kids say! Never assembled a tamale before. Made the dough using the pheasant broth (chicken broth, chiles with adobo, tamatillo salsa, etc). Stay tuned 👀

D8AD305E-538C-4978-987E-72D51BD1B76D.jpeg0D21421B-0B6A-4F8F-AD6C-9829DF02E0B7.jpegAC77FB31-4E43-4AB1-AC31-EF3E956BDEB0.jpeg

Countdown to Game Off: 1 day 21 hours and 57 minutes

Red sauce with meatballs is successfully simmering.

Onto tamale creation...
The pulled pheasant slaps as the kids say! Never assembled a tamale before. Made the dough using the pheasant broth (chicken broth, chiles with adobo, tamatillo salsa, etc). Stay tuned 👀

View attachment 254945View attachment 254944View attachment 254943
Bold move on tamales. They are very difficult to make, yet even when they're prefect only 1/2 the people like them, at least that's my experience

Countdown to Game Off: 1 day, 20 hrs, 24min

Thus far the tamale assemblage has been a lot easier that I had originally anticipated. I love tamales...to @neffa3 's point I hope the pleb judges have enough of a palate to appreciate. Can confirm the meat is good and have a good plan in place for a simple roja sauce paired with a tamatillo salsa 'christmas style'

Tamales are currently in the steamer 🤞

IMG_4584.JPGIMG_4583 2.JPG

IMG_4585.JPG
IMG_4587.JPG

Tasty! Needs probably ~10 more minutes in the steamer. Hanging up the apron after getting these babies out. Tomorrow will be mostly grocery shopping but will post further updates as events warrant. (GO22 starts @ 730MDT 12/13)

I've said it before about some of the videos the Fresh Tracks crew have done, but I think one of the underrated benefits of the hunting and fishing lifestyle is the opportunity to gather people around afterwards and share the appreciation of really good food and memories. You are a true ambassador for our pursuits, in contrast to the freak shows that are getting too much attention right now.

QQ

Back