MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Live: Game Off 2022

No lard in your masa??? Do you want dry tamales? Because that's how you get dry tamales. Looks delicious though, I'm excited to see what's next.
there is lard in the masa!! right now my concern is that they're almost a bit too moist. (they were steaming for nearly 2hrs last night but the pot may have been over-stuffed) I may do another round of either baking (an internet trick) or second round of steaming to make sure they're firm for tomorrow night. Will check on them a bit later!

there is lard in the masa!! right now my concern is that they're almost a bit too moist. (they were steaming for nearly 2hrs last night but the pot may have been over-stuffed) I may do another round of either baking (an internet trick) or second round of steaming to make sure they're firm for tomorrow night. Will check on them a bit later!
When do you sleep?

Phew! Try whatever manner you were planning on reheating them first. Even just one should give you a good indication. Probably not going to loose moisture or stiffen up more with more steaming. Not that I'm an expert, everything I know about tamales was learned from my neighbors abuela when we lived in Texas.

Did the masa float? When my wife makes Tamales she's always talking about how important it is to get the masa to float in water. I dunno, I just eat em.

Countdown to Game Off: 1 day 6 hours 26 minutes

Not a ton of prep today (little thing called work likes to get in the way) but did a Whole Foods Paycheck run and took out a second mortgage for a bunch of fancy butter and cheese amongst other things. May do a tamale sauce prep and test at some point.

Mr.Ammo is home from the ranch and has seen the prep. I'm not sure he actually knows what he's going to make yet.

38B99D89-E216-4591-AB1D-4656813D7AE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Countdown to Game Off: 1 day 4 hours 46 minutes

Made a red chile sauce and tried out two different green sauces (poblano on the left, tomatillo on the right on the plated pic) - surprisingly the poblano was the clear winner. It's super subtle and has a little bit of sweetness that counters the salty spicy tang of the chile sauce and the pheasant.

Tamale prep I'm calling done until game day. Onto other things!

IMG_4593 2.JPGIMG_4592 2.jpg

@ammo are their any other rules/boundaries, like a spending limit? Doesn't seem like there's a time limit either?

This is a super cool idea, that's for letting us tag along
Good questions. You can do as much prep as you want in advance (mostly because we are not Kitchen Stadium and thus don't have 2 ovens etc). Timing wise everything needs to be ready and served at the start of each round (730ish pheasant, 830ish ground, 930ish wild card). Interesting on the spending limit! I'm actually more protective about any use of our nicer cuts of meat. No real help-help from others. Advice and getting the food out yes but no sous chefs! Otherwise no other constraints in hopes that will spurn creativity.

One last quirk (not a rule) is we usually each pick a theme! I have a theme but I'll wait until GO22 to explain 😎. Oh and there's a little showmanship with each dish. Mr.Ammo may have been wearing jorts and a cowboy hat one year...

Countdown to GO: 1 day, 1hr, 6min

Doesnt look pretty but ho-lee-shit is that good. Learnings on elk mini meatball sub - broiler should be on low for maximum cheese meltage and less burnage for top of the bun. Needs more sauce. Maybe pre-toastage of the brioche buns?
IMG_4600 2.JPG

Re ninja bird - IYKYK.
Re drinkage - tonight - saving room for euchre beers at a brewery
Re the competition - he has begun to think of recipes. I think I saw the hamster wheels in the brain turning!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back