Caribou Gear Tarp

Little more jerky for the winter

mtmiller

Let work a little early yesterday to chase some birds. Here is a shot of Ax bringing back the first of a double. After he handed me the bird, I set it down and released him for the second. At the same time the bird he just brought me took off flying. :eek: He wasn't going to make it to Arkansas by any means, but it did take some more steel to stop him from getting away. Axl enjoyed a double retrieve on the same birds though. haha..
P1160121.JPG

I looked for a few pheasant along the river, but no luck. Suddenly this dumb solo birds slowly came in to take a look at the area. Axl and I just froze and when he was just overhead, I dropped him. Axl got probably got his last goose of the season, as this was the only one I saw.
P1160130.JPG

Finished off the first day with a double. Here is the second drake and the "golden" boy.
P1160157.JPG

Also picked up a bonus wigeon for the bag. Would have been a better picture if the one duck would have kept his trap shut...something about AFLAC :confused:
P1160194.JPG

This morning we picked up a quick limit of mallards and called it a day. I screwed up and killed a hen mallard. :BLEEP: Makes that 2 for the calendar year.
P1160224.JPG

Had a fun weekend. Watched two different whitey does being harassed by a couple bucks (one was a pretty good buck to boot). Also watched a fox sitting on the ice eating soem leftovers from the ice fisherman. He was at 100 yards and knew he was safe with me packing only the shotgun. :D

Later all and Merry Christmas....woops....I am probably considered a dreaded liberal...so...Happy Holidays. :rolleyes: :D

Looks like some good ducks, congrats on the goose..Too Bad you didnt have a .223 or other gun to kill that Coyote.

mtmiller,

Looks good. I am playing Mr. Mom today and couldn't get out. Will be out tommorrow though. Bring Axl further east and he will still get to retrieve geese. Quite a few of them over here still.

Nemont

damnit Miller--you're killlin' me with all this hunt'n--but congrats on a job well done and yea keep it up as I love seein' ol Ax in action--chris

Great pics. The recovering drake makes me laugh as I had the same experience with a rooster last week.

Bonnie made the retrieve I put the limp bird in the vest and proceeded. About 10 minutes later, same limp bird regained consiousness and flapping and clawing me! He got out and took flight and I shredded him with #5's from about 10 yards.....he's dead now.

Is that a Tacoma or a Tundra you drive? How do you like it?

T Bone said:
Is that a Tacoma or a Tundra you drive? How do you like it?

It is a Tundra and so far so good. I had a Tacoma until I picked this up in Spring of '04. That Tacoma was ridden hard and still never let me down. I did have to put a new ignition in it, but for 120K miles that was it. Only have 32K on the Tundra and no problems yet, well except for two new windshields (Oscar and the boys know the trip to bear camp in SK and that last 200 miles of gravel is a killer, also one unfortunate owl). Hate them bastards anyway. :D Picked up both Toyotas at in Rapid City. They have treated me well.

Jeff, I might have to take you up on the offer. There weren't many birds left and I am doubting there were many up north waiting to come down. :D

What great pics, does anybody know if their are manyhonkers still around the Choteau/Fairfield area, we are planning a trip next weekend. I went a couple years ago about this time and we did great but a buddy of mine I taught with grew up there and had buddies watching fields for us. Since then he has moved to Arizona (everybody wants to go where they can make real $$) and we can still hunt on his relatives land. We had this cold snap and hope to get into them again but only have 2 days to hunt so any info would be appreciated. Thanks I will let you know how we did and hope to post some pics. I am not as good looking as Axl though. JerryM

mtmiller I just got back from Calgary today, had to drive up in the dark Wed. morning so I didn't see anything but coming back today the skies were black with Geese and Mallards. Their all hanging out on the rivers up here, thats the only water not frozen over. I work Fri. and Sat but will pop over to the river on Sunday and get some pics. As long as the rivers stay open and there is no snow cover on the fields they'll never leave.

twister50 said:
Looks like some good ducks, congrats on the goose..Too Bad you didnt have a .223 or other gun to kill that Coyote.

What coyote, I thought that it was a FOX.... D.A.....

Back