Lite Weight Rifle ?

buckykm1

Father time is sneaking up on me, and I am considering going to a lightweight Rifle, and maybe dropping a pound or so.
I am currently using a Remington Model 700, in 300 Win. Mag. and I love it, but with a Scope and Sling it is a little over 9 lbs.

I think that I would like to stay with a 30-06 or 300 Win. Mag.
I am looking at Tikka

But am open to any suggestions on a decent Factory Rifle that would be a little lighter ?, without going totally crazy on price.

Thanks
Kevin

Killed animals with both the Howa Alpine Mountain and the Kimber Mountain Ascent last year. Couldn't go wrong with either of them in my opinion.

Post the words light, accurate, and economy on any hunting site....Tikka will be a Steve Harvey best answer.

Obviously, I'm biased, having the first prototype of the Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle as one of my " go to" rifles.

That said, whatever you choose, I would suggest crossing the 300 Win Mag off the list with a lightweight rifle. That round in a lightweight set up will beat the hell out of you, the scope, and the rifle.

Another point where I have formed biases based on personal use. Since the .308 Win and .30-06 are very close ballistically and you can get the .308 Win in a short action that is easier to cut weight, that may be an option to think about.

Obviously, I'm biased, having the first prototype of the Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle as one of my " go to" rifles.

That said, whatever you choose, I would suggest crossing the 300 Win Mag off the list with a lightweight rifle. That round in a lightweight set up will beat the hell out of you, the scope, and the rifle.

Another point where I have formed biases based on personal use. Since the .308 Win and .30-06 are very close ballistically and you can get the .308 Win in a short action that is easier to cut weight, that may be an option to think about.

Substitute value for economy and I completely agree with ya Fin....lot's to like about the Alpine's price point to components ratio.

I'd take your .300 and maybe re-stock it. Get the bolt fluted and handle skeletonized. Check out a different scope. I'd never dissuade anybody from buying a new rifle, but for one pound gain? To me, a lightweight rifle is 7 pounds or so. Still manageable to carry, but won't pound you in "normal" cartridges. I like a platform that is steady enough to shoot accurately at longer ranges if need be. Lightweight may seem appealing, but it also creates other issues. mtmuley

I have 2 light weight rifles in the safe. Now days they are all I use. My primary is a Tikka T3 superlite in 06 and the other is a Remington model 7 7-08. Both are under 7 lbs with scope which I have found is my ideal weight. I love them both but the tikka is a flat out nail driver. With a limbsaver pad it is really not bad to shoot. I handled a Howa alpine the other day and was pleased. If ever I need another light rifle, it will probably be one of those or a kimber montana.

Do yourself a favor and go buy a past recoil pad now. Use this for range days/etc. The once or twice you shoot it in the field won't kill you.

As far as suggestions, the Tikka T3s are nice and a favorite... I also have a few Weatherby Vanguards in the lightweight offerings that are a little heavier than the Tikka but also shoot lights out. Savage has a model 16 in a lightweight offering that looks tempting as well.

The scope is another place that can be weighty as well - I recently switched out some of my scopes for Leupold VX2(11 oz) and a VX3i(13 oz?)... coming from ~18-20oz scopes, thats a big difference.

I'd take your .300 and maybe re-stock it. Get the bolt fluted and handle skeletonized. Check out a different scope. I'd never dissuade anybody from buying a new rifle, but for one pound gain? To me, a lightweight rifle is 7 pounds or so. Still manageable to carry, but won't pound you in "normal" cartridges. I like a platform that is steady enough to shoot accurately at longer ranges if need be. Lightweight may seem appealing, but it also creates other issues. mtmuley

mtmuley, I actually thought about restocking it, with something lighter, a few months ago, But, the ones that I saw, they were talking $400 to $600 for a new lightweight stock, but as much as I love my model 700, I figured at that price I may as well just buy a different Rifle.
if there are some lightweight stocks out there at a more reasonable price, I am definitely open to suggestions ?.

Thanks
Kevin

Do yourself a favor and go buy a past recoil pad now. Use this for range days/etc. The once or twice you shoot it in the field won't kill you.

As far as suggestions, the Tikka T3s are nice and a favorite... I also have a few Weatherby Vanguards in the lightweight offerings that are a little heavier than the Tikka but also shoot lights out. Savage has a model 16 in a lightweight offering that looks tempting as well.

The scope is another place that can be weighty as well - I recently switched out some of my scopes for Leupold VX2(11 oz) and a VX3i(13 oz?)... coming from ~18-20oz scopes, thats a big difference.

I have a 200 yard Range set up right at my house, and I use a lead sled for most of my practise, so recoil isn't a issue, and I put Scientific labs recoil pads on my Rifles, they are awesome.
A different Scope is a great idea, I didn't think about that, I really like the Bushnell Legend that I use, but it is in that 18 to 20 oz. range.

Thanks
Kevin

I have two Remington Model 7 FS models, one in 7mm-08 and one in 308. They are my go-to rifles! The FS models were made for a few years in the 1980's. They weigh 5.25 pounds out of the box. With a Leupold VX3 2.5-8, 5 rounds and a Mountain Sling, they weigh 6.5# total. But, they are tough to find.

If I was buying a rifle today, I would consider the Kimber Adirondack for short action calibers at 4# 13 ozs and the Kimber Mountain Ascent for long action calibers (like the 280 AI I'm dreaming about!).... Of course, those are very pricey.

I would also consider a Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, but have not held one to be able to provide more info.

New Ultralight Arms, by Melvin Forbes should also receive consideration. I have seen and held these, but have not shot one.

Unless its a bench gun, all my hunting rifles have to be light weight. I'll take recoil any day over carrying 2 extra pounds....

I have the Howa Alpine in .308 and really like way the rifle handles and shoots. I also really like the 20" barrel after shooting a 24" barrel for so long. I don't think you will miss the Magnum after shooting the .308

the Kimber Montana I had was very nice as well. I had it in 300wsm and just didn't want the magnum in that light of a rifle

Savage has a model 16 in a lightweight offering that looks tempting as well.

They also have a Model 11/111 as well. They advertise 5lbs 8oz on both, but in reality its close to 6lbs on the money. I believe both are also available in LA calibers as well as short.

Well I went shopping today, looked at pretty much all the lightweight Rifles the local gun Shops had in stock.
decided to stop at our relatively new Field & Stream store on my way home, they had a couple of Tikka T3 lites, one in 30-06 and that is really what I wanted.
with a sale price of $499.99 I couldn't pass it up, got the Rifle and a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 with the long range reticle.
put it all together with the sling and everything, tips the scale at 7.39 Pounds, a full 2 pounds lighter than my Remington model 700.
I think that I will be happy with it.

Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back