Lion Hunter Looses Dogs!

this is just sick!... true hunters understand the pain involved here. these weren't just hunting dogs, they were also family pets. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...868051193404.105638.1604813954&type=1&theater some idiots will say the dogs got what they deserved because they were chasing lions, but how do you then justify protesting the hunter killing the wolf who spends his life chasing elk/deer/etc? We need to get our wolf population down to the numbers that were agreed on before the reintroduction...

I obviously have no experience in this field, could it be possible the mountain lion killed them?
I just wonder why the wolves didn't eat the dogs?
Were there any wolf tracks?
A very sad sight, if i ever get over again i will dig deep and buy a wolf tag.
Cheers
Richard

Im feeling the pain for somebody who lives for his dogs and the mountains to have wolves tear em apart. Not an enjoyable read, but it looks like lion hunting has changed a bit over the past few years in a few areas.

I obviously have no experience in this field, could it be possible the mountain lion killed them?
I just wonder why the wolves didn't eat the dogs?
Were there any wolf tracks?
A very sad sight, if i ever get over again i will dig deep and buy a wolf tag.
Cheers
Richard

It wasn't the lion...there were wolf tracks all around the dogs and the bodies were spread out across the hillside. wolves are territorial and will kill other dogs with no intention of eating them...hell, half the time they don't even finish eating the elk/moose/deer that they kill

...hell, half the time they don't even finish eating the elk/moose/deer that they kill

Similar to a lot of hunters in Montana... or at least thats what I see at the dump every hunting season.

Sucks to lose dogs, but there is nothing they can do about it unless they want to stop hunting lions.

What about the people that lose dogs to traps/snares? I lost a dog due to a neighbors coyote snare on my dads fence line... Should we ban trapping?

So what I've taken away from this thread is that if you tie a bunch of door bell dogs to a tree in the woods wolves will come. Sweetness

If a guy takes dogs in the woods to harass wildlife and the wildlife fight back, no pity will be handed out from me.

So what I've taken away from this thread is that if you tie a bunch of door bell dogs to a tree in the woods wolves will come. Sweetness

If a guy takes dogs in the woods to harass wildlife and the wildlife fight back, no pity will be handed out from me.

Looks like Hunt Talk has our own little troll. Enjoy your time. You might want to check out the wolf huggers anonymous thread while you are here.

harass wildlife? ever heard of hunting? you're a moron.

harass wildlife? ever heard of hunting? you're a moron.

Did you read the story? They have treed over 20 cats and only shot one. They just take pictures. I would consider that harassment.

Maybe the cats just learned to fight back.

ha·rass - a : exhaust, fatigue b (1) : to annoy persistently (2) : to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct

So yes I would agree with Enso. Harass. Using dogs to hunt is one thing, stressing an animal for a picture is another.

A lion hunt is on my bucket list if I can ever make it out west. When I find one ill shoot it and not just take pictures.

ha·rass - a : exhaust, fatigue b (1) : to annoy persistently (2) : to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct

So yes I would agree with Enso. Harass. Using dogs to hunt is one thing, stressing an animal for a picture is another.

A lion hunt is on my bucket list if I can ever make it out west. When I find one ill shoot it and not just take pictures.

we'll, you're obviously not from the west...

when you finally make your way out here to hunt lions (so you can fill your bucket list), make sure you hire a guide who trained his dogs in such a way that every cat that was treed was shot. you see, you don't just buy a dog and turn him loose with the expectation that since he's a dog he will have the natural inclination to chase a kitty. no...there's a ton of training that goes into creating these wonderful lion hunting dogs. any quality lion hunter is going to have dogs who were trained on running hundreds of cats up trees. if this goes against your morals, then whenever you get around to your bucket list hunt, i suggest you get a good pair of snow shoes and run the cat down yourself.

Even if it's a tiny, young of the year cat??

Did you read the story? They have treed over 20 cats and only shot one. They just take pictures. I would consider that harassment.

Maybe the cats just learned to fight back.

I harassed the hell out of some rabbits here in Indiana last week then. . .saw tons, but only shot a couple of B&C bunnies. . .they scored well!! LOL. I'm not a big cat hunter, but, I'm guessing that they need "field work" to stay in shape and stay sharp just like any other hunting dog and I actually applaud the guys who are picky in the trophies they harvest. . . its not ever about the kill for me and many others I'm sure. May go and harass some of the big barn cats at the farm. . .thats as close as I can get to lions around here.:D

Even if it's a tiny, young of the year cat??

If you cant tell that before you turn the hounds loose, you probably shouldnt even own dogs or be running lions.

What pisses me off, that the story isnt telling, is the sacrifice that deer/elk hunters are making so that these houndsmen can tree 26 cats in a month and half.

Good thing the Montana Houndsmen have trophy cat status so they can eat donuts and cut 10 cat tracks a day.

Ridiculous...you sacrifice thousands of deer/elk annually, as well as the associated tag fees that they generate to satisfy the whining houndsmen. It would be one thing if the Resident Lion tags were $1000 each, but they're $19 dollars and on a limited quota in most of Western Montana. The math doesnt add up. I'd much rather have fewer lions on the landscape and more elk and deer for hunters. Nothing wrong with having some lions, and I'm willing to give up some deer and elk to support a reasonable population. What we have right now with lions is not reasonable...its excessive and having a huge impact on deer/elk numbers.

What a joke.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back