Lion camp is set [aka- this winter's time with the dogs]

kotikant

We'll be in the area of Caliente/Pioche this weekend after chukar/quail, maybe grouse if we're lucky and we'll be on the lookout for cat and yote opportunities, too. No dogs, just a lot of footwork for us. Only an overnight trip so we'll need a good dose of luck along with hard work to make things happen. That camp setup looks sweet.

mevertsen

In camp now. Snowed all day. Found a tom track and a female with two kittens. Turned loose on the tom track and it snowed on is 3 more times. No lion in a tree. Staying tonight then hunt tomorrow.

mevertsen

We'll be in the area of Caliente/Pioche this weekend after chukar/quail, maybe grouse if we're lucky and we'll be on the lookout for cat and yote opportunities, too. No dogs, just a lot of footwork for us. Only an overnight trip so we'll need a good dose of luck along with hard work to make things happen. That camp setup looks sweet.
Good luck on your trip.

mevertsen

Well, I screwed up.

Found a fresh track this morning.
It stopped snowing last night around 10. I put the dogs on it at around 9 and they appeared to trail it and got out of the little canyon we were in. The temp was about 15 degrees.

I caught up with the dogs on the other side of the hill, and they were just hunting, not on the cat I turned them loose on. I gathered them up, went back around and turned them loose again. This time I followed them up the same hill, and a few minutes later saw them going over the top of another hill 600 yards away. My daughter and I then went up the ridge a ways then dropped down to the four wheeler. On the way, we found the track. It turned left, and the dogs kept going straight. I missed it as well.

It was about 2 more hours and several miles before i finally caught all the dogs. By that time it was after one and i had 5 worn out hounds.

I am not hunting my two best dogs this year due to them getting quite old and having a hard time getting along. I have put a lot of trust in them over the years, which has done me well.

Looks like this year, I need to help the dogs out a little more, especially on these cold days. The scent is just not as apparent to them.

But here is a pic of the track anyway. Church tomorrow then will give it a shot Monday. 20191130_090821.jpg