Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

lightweight foods

Muskeez

We backpack in for 7 days. I actually LIKE Mt. House meals for suppers, as well as a few cocoa packets for a treat. For breakfasts I have found granola and other cereals with powdered milk and maybe some brown sugar to be good lightweight breakfast meals that I can just add water to.

Mid day meals have consisted of gross protein bars that are chalky and have to be forced down. I also pack a variety of nuts and jerky.

My questions are, what daytime meals or bars are better tasting and light in weight? I need to get more variety in my menu this year, and get the total weight of my food bag down a bit. 7 days usually runs about 12 pounds, and I end up bringing some out at the end of the trip cuz my eyes are bigger than my appetite.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Clayton

Probars - they're twice as expensive as a cliff bar, but they're also double in nutrition and calories. They taste good to boot.

Raw almonds are also a solid item to include, they pack one of the highest protein to weight ratios out there.

I like to make small turkey bacon peanut butter and honey tortilla wraps. They are light and taste great.

I like the Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Meal Replacement Bars. They come in a variety of flavors and taste very good.

I'll pack protein shake mix as well. I just dump some in my Nalgene and drink it down. It works good if you have water nearby to refill your supply.

Snickers, power bars, shot block, shot gel, jerky, raman, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, and more Snickers, cheese, instant potatoes, and dry salami.

I make up taco meat, dehydrate it, add in equal parts dehydrated re-fried beans... mix with hot water and add to tortilla... add cheese, and hot sauce. Usually more a dinner meal.

i pack the individual tuna salad packs and PBJ's both on tortillas. cheap, dont weigh much, tortilla last, long shelf life regardless of weather and great protein.

Snickers, power bars, shot block, shot gel, jerky, raman, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, and more Snickers, cheese, instant potatoes, and dry salami.

I make up taco meat, dehydrate it, add in equal parts dehydrated re-fried beans... mix with hot water and add to tortilla... add cheese, and hot sauce. Usually more a dinner meal.

I get hungry just reading this.

Pure Protein bars are the best tasting and best protein bars I have found. The macro nutrients in them are perfect.

Everyone seems to be really high on the probar stuff right now. How come? I've never tried them. But a quick search on their website and looking at the nutrition label I'm disappointed in the macros in them.

Last edited:
I like Power bars because some are palitable. I cant stand the protien bars, have tried more than enought to now they are not for me. My dog won't eat them and that is good enough for me. They're also highy processed and contsin some really weird chit. I don't realy care about nutrition for a week... I could live off Snickers of they weren't so heavy...

Usually tortillas or flat bread with peanut butter and whatever else one wants to add. I like to add honey and occasionally some raisins. Bagels can work too, but it takes me quite a bit of water to get them down. Another thing I've done it the past is make up a batch of Logan Bread. It keeps really well and is filling enough. There are LOTS of different recipes out that for this and you can add just about anything to it.

The one staple on a backpack hunt:
th

Last edited:
I just made a startling discovery the other night. Coconut oil has 244 calories per ounce. 244. Figure out some ways to weasel that into some food stuffs and those are influential numbers when talking about a week-long supply of food. Oh, and it's delicious. Experimenting now to make my backcountry menu even more calorie dense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back