lightweight foods

What do you mean by macros? Just pure protien number?

Pure doesn't list their nutrition, what is the fat content?

Macro nutrients. AKA fats, protein and carbs.

The probars only have 11g of protein, which is really weak, 25g of carbs, 22 of which are sugar! (there are 30g of sugar in a snickers for reference) and 7g of fat which is fine. So at $4.50/bar, doesn't sound like a good buy IMO. I do like that they are 100% organic, but simple carbs are simple carbs.

I also like the cliff builders bars, but there is still way too much sugar in those also. I try to save my sugary foods for those last 2 miles back to the truck in the dark with your pack full of horns and meat!

I just like these guys because they are the healthiest and taste the best, at a really good price for what your getting. You can get them at any wal mart or winco.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pur...013%2F02%2Fpure-protein-giveaway%2F;2040;1360

Not all sugars are created equally. Specifically, the sugars in a probar when combined with the high poly/monounsaturated fat content and high fiber create a better balanced food especially when burning while hunting.

The sodium content of the pure bars is far too high especially in conjunction with the low fiber, and lack of poly/monounsaturated fats, comparably.

The're also only $3.33.

Attachments

• PROBAR Meal Superfood Slam  Meal Replacement  Organic Energy Bar - Google Chro_2015-04-10_11-02-.jpg
    PROBAR Meal Superfood Slam Meal Replacement Organic Energy Bar - Google Chro_2015-04-10_11-02-.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 227
  • pure protien.jpg
    pure protien.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 232
Don't overthink your snacks in terms of nutrition. There's a lot of woo when it comes to sports recovery supplements and bars.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/a-burger-and-fries-is-just-as-good-as-an/article_b33b56a7-d12a-59bb-8c98-ae59711b87ed.html

"Primary findings demonstrate that muscle glycogen recovery and exercise performance were not different when comparing products created specifically for sport recovery and traditional fast food," read the article.

The take-home message?

"Recovery nutrition doesn't have to be overly-calculated and complicated," .
"

16g of unsaturated fats is solid! I do like that for sure.

As long as most of those sugars are coming from fruits then that is good. A little more protein would be nice.

$3.33 isn't bad, someone said earlier that they were double the price of the competitors.

I will give em a try!

The reason why I'm picky as to simple carbs is because on a 3-4+ day hunt I don't want spikes and crashes. I still pack plain old fashioned oats and low GI carbs around on backpack hunts!

Nameless,

Funny you would mention that, because one of the most populary recovery meals amongst endurance athletes is still PB & J and chocolate milk.

I try to take unprocessed foods as much as possible. I like trail mix, raw almonds, jerky, dried coconut, string cheese, salami, wheat crackers, etc. Paydays and Salted Nut Rolls are actually pretty good in terms of nutritional value. I usually eat one Cliff Bar a day, but no more than that.

Macronutrients: Protiens, Carbs, Fats

Several online calculators exist that can help you determine what you need to perform.

Macronutrients?????
And a calculator
-
Never heard Of such things in the backcountry!
Fools gold. Suppose Ya gotta have an app for the iPhone to calculate macros and
Carbos?

I'm with Bambi , can't pack enough snickers and could live on them for a
Week with some almond Joys .elk jerky and a green apple or three!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back