Light cheap accurate rifle

This test is only to see if anything falls apart. This is not a poi shift test which the leupold fails at almost everytime they are tested in actual drops.
I see. Do you have any paper targets or other evidence showing a zero wandering from the start of one season to the end or over the course of a year or 2 or anything? Maybe I don’t tumble enough when rough and tumble backpacking I guess. Seems like a pair of walking sticks might be a cheaper option than a new scope.

I see. Do you have any paper targets or other evidence showing a zero wandering from the start of one season to the end or over the course of a year or 2 or anything? Maybe I don’t tumble enough when rough and tumble backpacking I guess. Seems like a pair of walking sticks might be a cheaper option than a new scope.

Don’t keep targets. I really don’t care if you believe me or not. I use solid rings, degrease every part of the scope rings and base, torque to spec, and lock tight. When I quit shooting leupolds the issue went away. This wasn’t just one scope and it wasn’t just falls. This was over a winter of coyote calling or a hunting season with gun just riding in the pickup. It’s not just leupold there’s lots of scopes this is a problem with. Why do you think every year people need to “check zero” before season or when they get to their hunting area after driving across country? Im not taking about feet of movement from just bouncing around but an inch or two for sure. Most wouldn’t notice that and would still kill a deer at 300 yards but when you pay that kind of money they shouldn’t do that.

This was literally an issue on one of Randy’s shows to that Bo guy on a Montana elk hunt. He fell and the leupold was off like 6’. Steve Rinelli had the same isssue with a Vortex on one of his shows.

I’m not sure why you think I’m making this up. I use to be a huge leupold fan boy. For a straight up hunting scope they would be my pick everytime if they were reliable.

Don’t keep targets. I really don’t care if you believe me or not. I use solid rings, degrease every part of the scope rings and base, torque to spec, and lock tight. When I quit shooting leupolds the issue went away. This wasn’t just one scope and it wasn’t just falls. This was over a winter of coyote calling or a hunting season with gun just riding in the pickup. It’s not just leupold there’s lots of scopes this is a problem with. Why do you think every year people need to “check zero” before season or when they get to their hunting area after driving across country? Im not taking about feet of movement from just bouncing around but an inch or two for sure. Most wouldn’t notice that and would still kill a deer at 300 yards but when you pay that kind of money they shouldn’t do that.

This was literally an issue on one of Randy’s shows to that Bo guy on a Montana elk hunt. He fell and the leupold was off like 6’. Steve Rinelli had the same isssue with a Vortex on one of his shows.

I’m not sure why you think I’m making this up. I use to be a huge leupold fan boy. For a straight up hunting scope they would be my pick everytime if they were reliable.
This has been my exact experience as well over 31 years of using leupolds mostly. I have done as little as tipped my gun over off its bipod. Most always this was enough to “knock” the gun off. I thought this was normal until I bought a nightforce. I have dropped this setup out of the pickup onto the ground with out needing to change a thing. It’s pretty awesome when you have a setup that is that reliable. This gun is for backpacking. When I get 4 miles back into my hunting area, nothing worse than having to check zero because I fell down.

I've hunted my whole life with leupold scopes without a shift in zero.
knock on wood. Ymmv

Leupold scopes seem to fail mostly on internet message boards, but oddly not in hunting camps or at the bench. Of course there are many different levels of Leupold scopes at different price points, and scopes of all ages. With many scopes in the hands of shooters there certainly going to be some duds, but I believe that in general this is not a real problem but is often repeated by fellows that have never experienced a problem themselves.

Leupold scopes seem to fail mostly on internet message boards, but oddly not in hunting camps or at the bench. Of course there are many different levels of Leupold scopes at different price points, and scopes of all ages. With many scopes in the hands of shooters there certainly going to be some duds, but I believe that in general this is not a real problem but is often repeated by fellows that have never experienced a problem themselves.
Unless things have changed the glass and features are the only differences on the price points. Internals are the same. The mark 5hd might have different but I don’t believe so.

Leupold generally meets a standard finer than what most people are able to witness. You can buy the cheapest econo-rifle, cheapest Leupold and, with luck, have near-MOA accuracy. A scope that shifts around a little does not make for boiler room misses at normal ranges. That's why I suggested sticking with good enough and improving the hunting rather than improving the scope. Better only matters if you have a use for it.

I'd rather have hunting so good I didn't even need a scope, than have the finest scope and nothing to shoot besides paper. I want to hunt where the elk flush like partridges and we use the same gun for both.

Haha. Wasn’t trying to start an argument. If it’s working for you keep doing your thing. For me, I’m removing the leupold and replacing it with a swfa, nightforce, or trijicon. Any suggestions are appreciated from those identified manufacturers

Haha. Wasn’t trying to start an argument. If it’s working for you keep doing your thing. For me, I’m removing the leupold and replacing it with a swfa, nightforce, or trijicon. Any suggestions are appreciated from those identified manufacturers

Had an NXS 2.5-10x42. Nice scope but didn't like it much more than 3-9 SWFAs and I decided 3 SWFAs > 1 NXS. That's still what I use for lightweight scopes. If 9x aint enough magnification, i don't have business shooting at it. I do like more magnification for punching paper and ringing steel at longer ranges but don't need that for hunting.

Had an NXS 2.5-10x42. Nice scope but didn't like it much more than 3-9 SWFAs and I decided 3 SWFAs > 1 NXS. That's still what I use for lightweight scopes. If 9x aint enough magnification, i don't have business shooting at it. I do like more magnification for punching paper and ringing steel at longer ranges but don't need that for hunting.

REALLY liked my last Trijicon credo. But I ended up selling it and replacing it with three SWFA 6x.

Cheap... ugly... but very very accurate...
savage axis youth in 7mm08 or in 308...
I have one I have absolutely abused and its still lights out accurate. Liked it enough that both my girls have one now in 7mm-08
this with a decent gold ring on it would be less than 600.

Killed plenty with them before the internet was a thing. Stood right there and watched that bull hit the dirt hard. mtmuley

Use to be able to buy them in bulk bags to load. Shot a lot of things with them.

Back