Light cheap accurate rifle

Ruger American Predator 308 18" barrel. It isn't threaded but weighs 7.5lbs with a Leupold 2-10x42scope and loaded. It has a heavy tapered barrel which is nice as light barrels like to wander for me. $450 on grab a gun.

I picked up a browning AB3 in .308 after hunting season for a pretty good price and so far it has shot lights out. I tested several loads and it seems to prefer 150 grn loads. It's been sub MOA so far with about 120 rounds through. It comes in at 7.5 lbs with a vortex viper 2.5-10x44 and 4 in the mag. It's got a 20" barrel not threaded but there's enough meat that it could be if needed.

Ruger American checks all those boxes. Have one in 30-06 and it groups as good or better than my hells canyon. No frills just a great shooting cheap rifle.

Adding the cost of threading an unthreaded econo rig adds a nominal 20%.

So my buddy and I played around with his new Tikka T3 Superlite 300WM. Weighs 6.1 empty.

Shot a .375 in group with factory Barnes 180 TTSX. Then turned around and shot .567in with factory Barnes 165 TTSX. 15-20mph winds. Both bullets had the exact same point of impact. UNREAL.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) that I’ve messed with for 5 years that won’t do better then .85 and that group was probably a bit of luck. My Weatherby weighs almost 1.5lb more and cost more.

If that Ruger American Predator feels good to you then it would probably be my vote as I have seen a few of those be stupid accurate. But if you feel like a little bit of a project, a Tikka with a little bit of smith work would probably be overall the best option. Not sure if it would be cheap after the work though.

I'd go Tikka then! Sub moa guarantee and you can get a stainless one for under $1k.
2nd Tikka. Online there are gobs of Tikka 6.5 CM for sale, so you might find a "non-base model" T3x at a slightly cheaper price than in .308. Or ..308 in stainless.

Cheapest new Tikkas online sell for around $650+, plus shipping and fees.

I'd go Tikka then! Sub moa guarantee and you can get a stainless one for under $1k.
You may be able to find a Tikka .308 or 6.5CM with a threaded barrel at around or just under $1K.

But I think 22" for the 308 and 24" for the 6.5CM. (Was doing a lot of Tikka shopping a while back, many online vendors erroneously list T3x 308s as having a 24" barrel) Good luck with your decision

Major word here I though was cheap. But talking about rifles from around $600 up mostly. Cheap is a bad word, how about inexpensive. Probably get to same answer's for the most part. To many people thing $600 just isn't much money. Then there's the less well attended of us. I live on a SS check, $600 is a lot of money to me! The words cheap and inexpensive both mean different things depending on who you talk to!

Major word here I though was cheap. But talking about rifles from around $600 up mostly. Cheap is a bad word, how about inexpensive. Probably get to same answer's for the most part. To many people thing $600 just isn't much money. Then there's the less well attended of us. I live on a SS check, $600 is a lot of money to me! The words cheap and inexpensive both mean different things depending on who you talk to!
Yeah ideally I would spend less than $600 but since I wasn’t seeing many short barreled threaded options the discussion moved up to the $1000 price point. Right now I’m considering a tikka t3x and cutting the barrel down and threading$1000 or a ruger American would be the straight out of the box option at the lower price point.

Man it's REALLY hard to beat the Tika T3x and I have multiple $4.5k custom rigs. Action is stupid smooth. 70 degree bolt throw. Crisp trigger. Accurate barrel/action. Light. The stock is plastic which could be upgraded but I bought the vertical grip for it and a Mountain Tactical cheek riser and it's good to go in my book. All you'd have to do is get barrel end threaded.

Back