Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Light cheap accurate rifle

rogerthat

Ok. Here is the criteria. I want a light cheap factory rifle with a short threaded barrel for a suppressor for deer and elk to 400 yards. Caliber is any capable cartridge available. I’m thinking Howa Superlite in 7mm-08 but availability is a problem on those. Could get it in .308 or 6.5 I think. The cheaper the better is my thought as it only needs to be minute of deer at 400 yards. I would say criteria ranking go like this:
1)capable cartridge
2)short threaded barrel
3)cheap
4)light
5)accuracy

Anyone got some suggestions?

I didn't think the Howa super lights are cheap? I thought they were running over $1k?

What about a standard howa. Pretty sure they come with threaded barrels. I don't have much experience with them except for the one I have, but they seem like a decent rifle for the money. Much better made, IMO than the low end Rugers or Remingtons.

Not sure what your idea of light or cheap is though. The Kimber hunters are a pretty good barging, and checks all the boxes, and better than cheap offerings of others. IMO.

I think you can find two of the three. Not sure can find three of three. The old saying is your choice of two from the following: low prices, high quality items and big selection on hand.

I know my wife will be selling my stuff for what I told her I paid so if you are patient you could pick up a tack-driving custom rifle with great glass for around $400, someday.

I had about the same criteria recently, got a Ruger American 7-08 go wild model. 22” threaded barrel, so not super short though…
How does it shoot? And how much did it cost? I could probably get the barrel shortened to 18” by a smith and still be cheaper than jumping up to the next tier of factory guns unless I go 18” predator in 308 like @Sheltowee suggested

I’m happy with it so far, but only have about 20 rounds through it. These were my last 3 shots at 300 when I sighted it in. Factory 139 GMX. Don’t have my suppressor in hand yet. Paid 615 for the rifle on gunbroker and got a vx3 from @schmalts for it.

5C3B5420-C049-46FC-A00A-78B0BDD6CFF5.jpeg

Last edited:
A T/C Compass fits the bill if you can find one. Cabelas and Dicks Sporting Goods had them for $199 not too awful long ago.

I had about the same criteria recently, got a Ruger American 7-08 go wild model. 22” threaded barrel, so not super short though…
That Ruger American GoWild comes in a 16” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor, best and worst caliber all in one according to all the internet dwellers, 5.6lbs. I’d probably lean towards the .308 though

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back