Light cheap accurate rifle

Bergara Ridge is available in a 7-08, is already threaded, but does have a longer barrel than you want.

The Tikka compact comes with a 20 inch barrel, a lot of people upgrade the stocks on those anyway so it probably wouldn’t be too hard to get one.

I’ve seen deals on the Howa carbon stalkers recently. Already threaded but a longer barrel than you listed, pretty nice stock though.

Bergara Ridge is available in a 7-08, is already threaded, but does have a longer barrel than you want.

The Tikka compact comes with a 20 inch barrel, a lot of people upgrade the stocks on those anyway so it probably wouldn’t be too hard to get one.

I’ve seen deals on the Howa carbon stalkers recently. Already threaded but a longer barrel than you listed, pretty nice stock though.
Plus there’s always a market for the tikka compact stock

I can get a good deal on a Kimber hunter in 7-08. I would cut and thread the barrel to 18” or 20”. Thoughts?

Lots of good options. Trying to decide if the little bit of weight savings on the Kimber is worth the extra cost since I will still need to thread the barrel. 5lb 5 oz on the Kimber so about a pound lighter than the other options mentioned

Lots of good options. Trying to decide if the little bit of weight savings on the Kimber is worth the extra cost since I will still need to thread the barrel. 5lb 5 oz on the Kimber so about a pound lighter than the other options mentioned
Having been around one kimber hunter rifle I was not impressed. I’d be grabbing a tikka

I don't think you'll be upset with the Ruger American. The bolt is not super smooth and the stock is flimsy but it's lights out accurate and the barrel is pre-threaded for a brake. You can get an aftermarket stock for it down the road if you want. I'm just as comfortable with my Ruger american 6.5 cm as I am with my custom 28 nos. AND the Ruger was about 15% of the cost of my custom rifle.

I don't think you'll be upset with the Ruger American. The bolt is not super smooth and the stock is flimsy but it's lights out accurate and the barrel is pre-threaded for a brake. You can get an aftermarket stock for it down the road if you want. I'm just as comfortable with my Ruger american 6.5 cm as I am with my custom 28 nos. AND the Ruger was about 15% of the cost of my custom rifle.
Ruger Americans flat shoot. More and more options all the time for upgrades on them too. Rebarreling yourself is easy too

Another vote against the Kimber hunter. I have seen one that shot extremely well but the two I’ve personally been around both had magazine issues and the stocks suck way too bad for that price level. If you’re going the Kimber route just save and pony up for a mountain ascent, slender action, way nicer stock, and it’s already threaded.

Ok. Here is the criteria. I want a light cheap factory rifle with a short threaded barrel for a suppressor for deer and elk to 400 yards. Caliber is any capable cartridge available. I’m thinking Howa Superlite in 7mm-08 but availability is a problem on those. Could get it in .308 or 6.5 I think. The cheaper the better is my thought as it only needs to be minute of deer at 400 yards. I would say criteria ranking go like this:
1)capable cartridge
2)short threaded barrel
3)cheap
4)light
5)accuracy

Anyone got some suggestions?
A mossberg patriot predator fits the bill. I paid less than $300 for mine a few years back. 22 inch barrel, 6.5lb bare rifle, threaded barrel, mine in 6.5cm shoots sub-moa with federal fusion in 140 grain.

stock is flimsy
Super easy to firm up the forend by using a dremel to cut a small channel and adding in a small aluminum rod (some folks use aluminum or carbon arrow shafts). Then fill all the voids with 2 part JB Weld epoxy. If you want to add some more weight you can pop a 3/8 oz egg sinker in a few of the voids. Place it in front of a fan while curing to keep temp down and stop the stock form warping at all. Took me about 25 minutes and really helped firm up the front end. Very helpful if you shoot off a bipod.

Not sure if this helps but I was looking through the brochure of a high dollar elk outfitter yesterday. They had a section on rifles and what you can expect at the rifle range the day you arrive. They recommended 300WM or 7mmRM.

The sport pictured was a woman with a Savage Axis/Vortex factory combo. That's the real deal right there, son.

Those Ruger Americans flat-out shoot and they are reasonably light. I've looked at picking one up in 6 Creed just because. Then I tell myself I am stupid and go out and shoot my bow.

Seems like the bottom tier always need sime upgrades to meet my expectation. While many are accurate, it's worth the extra to go with tikka or other in that range to avoid the really cheap annoying stuff. I say this having hunted with a Savage 110 for many years.

Go handle a Howa Superlite. I have one in .308 with a Leupold 2.5x8 and it weighs 5#7.5oz and it shoots great, definitely minute of deer, 3/4" groups with 130 TTSX handloads at 3050fps.

Back